Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Aaaargh!  (Read 4742 times)

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Aaaargh!
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2015, 02:06:47 pm »
My local parts store (UPS ship location) stepped up and covered the cost of second shipment without me even asking them to. Small towns suck usually but in situations like this they shine.
My guess is they will file a claim and be refunded for the original shipment. So, solid customer service + no skin off their back = Happy Jim.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2015, 08:55:11 pm »
Yup yup

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2015, 09:17:22 pm »
Mine were just delivered today.  Now begins the painful process of waiting for over a month before they are judged.  I see Austin is judging next week...so expect to see all the rants about "why can't the results be released as soon as they are available?".

Nothing I have submitted will benefit from rebrewing (just the opposite actually) so I can wait...it's just painful. :)
Results are generally posted as soon as they are available (Full disclosure: I submitted to Austin because I know and trust the organizer to do it right, and would be judging there if I didn't have a scheduling conflict).  It just can take a couple weeks to process since there are multiple levels to the process.  I only have one beer that I would potentially rebrew.  The other two are already bottled, and I'll be quite happy to drink them if they don't advance.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2015, 10:13:54 pm »
WAMSS?!?!?!?

I just invented a new forum acronym,  feel free to use it.

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2015, 08:04:50 am »
Did I miss the explanation  for that acronym Jim? We all must suffer shipping...?
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2015, 08:35:29 am »
Did I miss the explanation  for that acronym Jim? We all must suffer shipping...?

Where Are My Score Sheets?

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2015, 09:48:42 am »
That sounds much better
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2015, 09:52:52 am »
WAMSS?!?!?!?

I just invented a new forum acronym,  feel free to use it.

Will Attempt Mashing Spaghetti Squash ??  Probably not applicable here. Carry on.
Jon H.

Offline chris.groenendal

• 1st Kit
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2015, 01:42:52 pm »
Gents,
I need some help.  This is my first competition.  I called the UPS and the FEDEX store and they said that it is illegal in the state of Virginia to ship any alcohol out of the state (I hate this state's regulations!).  I’m sending mine to the Zanesville, OH judging site.  Normally, I would just box it up and not tell them the contents.  However, if I get caught violating state laws (even though that is a slim chance), I would lose my job immediately :(
So that means Saturday, I’ll be driving to North Carolina, Maryland or Delaware.  Does anyone know if these states have similar laws?  I understand that it is against UPS’ and FEDEX’s policy to ship alcohol but I need to know if it is illegal in any of those states.  Their "ABC" web-sites are less than forthcoming about this type of thing.
Any thoughts? 

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2015, 02:26:17 pm »
I've not heard of it being illegal to ship alcohol OUT of a state. I've heard INTO though. that being said, if you are unsure and it would affect your lively hood I would seriously consider hand delivery. although I have to tell you, if you are really concerned, you should verify that it's legal to remove your homebrew from your home at all in your state.

looking here, http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrewing-rights/statutes/Virginia/ it seems judgeing is specifically allowed in Virginia. I might first contact the ABC in virginia and find out if it is in fact illegal to ship alcohol out of the state.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 02:28:43 pm by morticaixavier »
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline braufessor

• Brewer
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2015, 06:02:58 pm »
Now that all 50 states allow homebrewing....... I wonder if this would not be something worthwhile for the AHA to pursue.  I think all of us know that "technically" we maybe should not be shipping alcohol.  I wonder if AHA could ever work with UPS or FED EX, and states that may or may not prohibit alcohol shipping/delivery so that homebrewers could ship beer for judging on more than a "Don't ask/Don't tell" basis...... which seems to be the sort of unwritten rule of at least my UPS shipper.

For your specific situation.... I agree - find out the facts if it could really impact your entire livelihood.   Or......... do you have someone who would ship it and it would not endanger their job or livelihood if somehow the worst situation arose and they became someone prosecuted for shipping a few bottles of homebrew to a competition...... has anyone ever actually been charged or gotten in trouble for this??? 

Definitely don't do it if it could really impact your life to that extreme.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2015, 06:17:08 am »
Now that all 50 states allow homebrewing....... I wonder if this would not be something worthwhile for the AHA to pursue.  I think all of us know that "technically" we maybe should not be shipping alcohol.  I wonder if AHA could ever work with UPS or FED EX, and states that may or may not prohibit alcohol shipping/delivery so that homebrewers could ship beer for judging on more than a "Don't ask/Don't tell" basis...... which seems to be the sort of unwritten rule of at least my UPS shipper.

For your specific situation.... I agree - find out the facts if it could really impact your entire livelihood.   Or......... do you have someone who would ship it and it would not endanger their job or livelihood if somehow the worst situation arose and they became someone prosecuted for shipping a few bottles of homebrew to a competition...... has anyone ever actually been charged or gotten in trouble for this??? 

Definitely don't do it if it could really impact your life to that extreme.

I seem to remember that Denny mentioned he was trying to get something going with the USPS via the AHA. Perhaps not. It is definetely something worth working on though.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2015, 01:17:18 am »

Where Are My Score Sheets?
Winner winner chicken dinner

By the way, my second package made it through the guantlet and delivered today.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2015, 06:32:56 am »
One of the guys in the club is driving the club entries to Zanesville today, he is an excellent brewer and a true nice guy.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline BairsBrewing

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2015, 08:51:42 am »
I use Irish moss, 1 tbls at ten minutes left in the boil. As I'm chilling I circulate the wort so the sediment stays in the middle.  I also changed my pickup type from straight down to angled to keep away from the sediment.  This last batch I tried gelatin and it's crystal clear.  I agree with the others regarding aroma though, not as strong as usual. Only difference is the use of the gelatin.