Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dryhop DIPA with Perle?  (Read 4660 times)

Offline ultravista

• Brewer
Dryhop DIPA with Perle?
« on: March 04, 2015, 11:05:47 pm »
How would Perle be as a dry hop addition in a double IPA?

Will it work with Simcoe, Chinook, and Centennial?

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
Re: Dryhop DIPA with Perle?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 05:22:47 am »
not sure i would use it. more of a bittering hop that i like to use in some versions of my german pils.

you might be happier with cascade, citra or mandarin for your dry hop....what are you looking for in your DIPA
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Online majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 05:24:59 am »
I think it is something worth experimenting with. Perle to me has always been kind of minty. If that's the flavor you are after then go for it. I like to blend in some noble-sh or European hops with my IPAs. For a long time I used to use French Strisselspalt as an added sry hop. It added a complexity that I liked. Now I use Crystal.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 05:54:12 am »
I think it is something worth experimenting with. Perle to me has always been kind of minty. If that's the flavor you are after then go for it. I like to blend in some noble-sh or European hops with my IPAs. For a long time I used to use French Strisselspalt as an added sry hop. It added a complexity that I liked. Now I use Crystal.
I like that noble-ish character to add complexity to my hoppy beers as well. I use a lot of Motueka and Sterling for this since they're in the Saaz family, but get fruity when you start to push the hopping level on them.

To the OP, I've never used Perle as a dry hop but I think it would be a good choice with Simcoe and Chinook in particular. One thing to keep in mind is that a lot of noble hops are comparatively low in oil content and may just end up getting drowned out by bolder hops like Simcoe. I think it's still worth it to try, but if you don't end up getting the impact you're looking for, then you might need to bump up the amounts of Perle compared to the other dry hops.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 06:00:04 am »
I've never dry hopped Perle - only bittered with it.  I think it would work ok, except as mentioned, it would get lost behind those stronger hops.  I like to blend Mt Hood into IPAs sometimes, but it stays in the background even used in larger quantities than the others.
Jon H.

Offline wyobrew

• 1st Kit
  • Gillette, Wy
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 06:46:40 am »
I Haven't dry hopped them but have used a couple ounces at flameout all by themselves. I think it makes an excellent APA. This first one of my home brews that I sat back, patted myself on the back, and said "this is a damn good beer" I was drinking my pale ale single hopped with all Perle.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2015, 07:16:08 am »
I Haven't dry hopped them but have used a couple ounces at flameout all by themselves. I think it makes an excellent APA. This first one of my home brews that I sat back, patted myself on the back, and said "this is a damn good beer" I was drinking my pale ale single hopped with all Perle.
Funny, I did something similar on a APA but bittered with Perle and then it was all Saaz including 3oz of dry hop, the beer turned out great.

I've been getting tired of all the fruity, citrus-y pales and have been doing more with Noble hops and have been really pleased
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline ultravista

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2015, 07:21:57 am »
Perle in Rouge Dead Guy is subdued; these are left-over hops from a Dead Guy clone.

I am looking to use these in a Pliny base loaded with Chinook to add additional depth to the dry hop - not sure how it will work out though. IF anything, an ounce during dry hop, .5 oz. for 14 and .5 for 7 days.

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2015, 07:26:41 am »
I've used Perle as a dry-hop a few times. I am a big fan. Although I can't say that I get the mint character that others say is there. More of a nice spicy fruity character. I just used TriplePerle as a dry hop on an IPA that I hope to tap this weekend as well.
Kyle M.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2015, 07:28:07 am »
I've used Perle as a dry-hop a few times. I am a big fan. Although I can't say that I get the mint character that others say is there. More of a nice spicy fruity character. I just used TriplePerle as a dry hop on an IPA that I hope to tap this weekend as well.

used in pils with spalt, I cant pick up mint either...perhaps on its own I would.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2015, 07:33:23 am »
Perle in Rouge Dead Guy is subdued; these are left-over hops from a Dead Guy clone.

I am looking to use these in a Pliny base loaded with Chinook to add additional depth to the dry hop - not sure how it will work out though. IF anything, an ounce during dry hop, .5 oz. for 14 and .5 for 7 days.
I think in this context it certainly can't hurt. Worst case scenario is that you wouldn't notice that it's there unless you do a side-by-side. Best case is that it adds a subtle herbal-spice character that should go really well with Chinook.
Eric B.

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2015, 07:35:04 am »

used in pils with spalt, I cant pick up mint either...perhaps on its own I would.

I think I have read that it is more prominent in US grown, not so much in German grown. Either way, I think a smash of pils and Perle would be good.
Kyle M.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2015, 07:41:29 am »
For me, I don't know if I'd call it mint, but it's like a generic "sweet spiciness" to me. Depending on the other character of the hops sometimes it comes off as sweet cinnamon, or cardamom, or like a Ricola cough drop to me. It's not just Perle I'd describe like this, I get this from a few other hops like Polaris and Northern Brewer as well.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 07:43:15 am by erockrph »
Eric B.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2015, 07:44:31 am »
For me, I don't know if I'd call it mint, but it's like a generic "sweet spiciness" to me. Depending on the other character of the hops sometimes it comes off as sweet cinnamon, or cardamom, or like a Ricola cough drop to me. It's not just Perle I'd describe like this, I get this from a few other hops like Polaris and Northern Brewer as well.

that's a good description. perle combined with spalt is definitely spicy, little herbal.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next: