Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Beer for Thought...  (Read 6114 times)

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
Re: Beer for Thought...
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2015, 11:32:49 am »
So how long do I boil the yeast?

well played --- good laugh!
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2015, 11:35:20 am »
I tend to get irritated with the "go join a homebrew club and have them help you" response that seems to be such a default on some boards. I'm fine with encouraging folks to join clubs and seek help from them, but such a reply shouldn't be the only one. I'm on this forum because I don't have time to join a homebrew club, yet I'm at a point were the experience of others is really helpful.

I guess my point is "join a club" shouldn't be the end of the discussion, as it can be on other forums I've seen. I don't get that sort of impression on here.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2015, 11:45:01 am »

That's a good question. I haven't been able to find the answer yet. I will keep looking.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Stevie

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2015, 11:54:33 am »
I don't think there is anything wrong with replying with a link noting that it has been discussed without adding anything further.

When I do this I am simply trying to point the OP in a good direction. Any dickishness is perceived by the reader and not implied.

Calling out the OP and pointing out that the search function is there is a dick move.

Offline Three

• Assistant Brewer
  • Avon, IN
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2015, 11:55:58 am »
Amen, Wort-H.O.G.
Anyone who sings a tune so sweet is passin by........

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2015, 12:32:14 pm »

That's a good question. I haven't been able to find the answer yet. I will keep looking.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=How+long+should+I+boil+yeast%3F

;)
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2015, 12:38:01 pm »
My biggest pet peeve is "this has been asked before...search the forum before asking the same question again"  While it is good advice, sometimes the search functions don't provide the results you are looking for.

And it truly hate the "LMGTFY" posts...You go to all the effort to type the search into this website, then post the link on a forum to basically call people lazy.

Bottom line:  Rule #1 of the Brewer's Code - Don't be a dick!

I don't mind a little good nature razzing.....its what we do sometimes. I did chuckle when i got the LMGTFY- it wasn't meant to be mean in that case.
I know I am a rookie brewer but I now feel really stupid for having to google LMGTFY! Doh!
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2015, 12:38:47 pm »
My biggest pet peeve is "this has been asked before...search the forum before asking the same question again"  While it is good advice, sometimes the search functions don't provide the results you are looking for.

And it truly hate the "LMGTFY" posts...You go to all the effort to type the search into this website, then post the link on a forum to basically call people lazy.

I don't mind a little good nature razzing.....its what we do sometimes. I did chuckle when i got the LMGTFY- it wasn't meant to be mean in that case.
I know I am a rookie brewer but I now feel really stupid for having to google LMGTFY! Doh!

don't be....i had to do the same thing!
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2015, 12:43:41 pm »

I feel very lucky to have found this forum, this is the only forum I have ever been active on for any topic and it has been very enriching and educational as well
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2015, 12:49:49 pm »

I feel very lucky to have found this forum, this is the only forum I have ever been active on for any topic and it has been very enriching and educational as well

i hear you. i went from 0-60 quickly in brewing because of this forum and a few good folks that took their time to mentor me.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline Werks21

• Assistant Brewer
  • Enterprising brewer and aspiring beer judge
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2015, 12:55:36 pm »

+1
and beyond that I think that starting a thread on a topic that has been done before is ok. Maybe not a fresh thread on glass vs plastic, but geting feedback and being part of a disscussion is different then reading a two year old thread.
Also, I couldnt agree more with OP's sentiment. I lurked on several forums before signing here.
Jonathan W.
Snohomish WA

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2015, 01:13:41 pm »
I try to be respectful when disagreeing, clear what I mean when I'm teasing a poster in a friendly way, and when someone says something I don't like say something but give them the benefit of the doubt that they just had a bad day. My success rate at doing this is good but not 100%. I find that the regular posters here have been great about owning their crap when they mess up. Just the other day a regular poster got a little testy with an answer and totally got it and fessed up and apologized when called out.

This is my experience.  We can all be dickish at times, but most everyone here will own up to it and apologize.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2015, 01:47:03 pm »

I had to think about it for awhile to remember what it stood for.  I've done that to someone once and it wasn't on this forum.  He was full time, paid, computer geek just like me and kept asking questions that would all be answered if he just bothered to do a search himself.  Everyone else on the thread thought it was hilarious.  Him, not so much.   :-\

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2015, 01:59:24 pm »
All of this outpouring of emotion is making me weepy, I need a beer...
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2015, 02:02:41 pm »
All of this outpouring of emotion is making me weepy, I need a beer...

my wife often reminds me that men are humans with emotions also....even if we don't want to  ::)
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next: