Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mash pH and light beers  (Read 6992 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Mash pH and light beers
« on: March 03, 2015, 10:49:13 am »
Piggy backing on the dark grains thread. Is there a guideline for mash pH and lighter beers? I assume it would depend on the style but is it advised to shoot closer to 5.2 for beers like kolsch, pils, and even American wheat?

I am relatively new to treating my water. I have been shooting for 5.4 for all my beers but will begin pushing that up for my darker beers. Curious if I should go lower for lighter beers.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Mash pH and light beers
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 10:51:38 am »
I generally go for the lower end (5.2-5.3) for lighter beers and the upper end (5.5-5.6) for darker beers.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 10:57:05 am »
this has been a great discussion here lately. I used to target a room temp mash PH5.2 for pils, wit, etc and 5.4-5.5 for IPA and darker roast beers. most recently, after reading some opinions on this, I started targeting a room temp mash PH in the 5.3-5.5 range for everything...referenced by some as a nice blend for optimal room temp mash PH. I then adjust after mash up or down- pils 5.1-5.2 and porter or other dark beer at 5.5-5.6 into the kettle.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 11:01:36 am by Wort-H.O.G. »
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 11:05:05 am »
+2.   I shoot for Saison- 5.2,  other pale beers 5.2-5.3,  APA/IPA  5.4,  darker beers 5.5-5.6. 
Jon H.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 11:09:10 am »
Thanks guys!
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

rabeb25

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 11:27:05 am »
this has been a great discussion here lately. I used to target a room temp mash PH5.2 for pils, wit, etc and 5.4-5.5 for IPA and darker roast beers. most recently, after reading some opinions on this, I started targeting a room temp mash PH in the 5.3-5.5 range for everything...referenced by some as a nice blend for optimal room temp mash PH. I then adjust after mash up or down- pils 5.1-5.2 and porter or other dark beer at 5.5-5.6 into the kettle.
I do the same.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2015, 11:30:00 am »
I'll be brewing a saison this weekend, aiming for a mash pH of 5.2. I'll be posting more about that later in the week, my water is a mess and I'm hoping to finally get things dialed in with this batch.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

dfhar

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2015, 11:59:51 am »
I typically mash at a pH of 5.3 to 5.4 for my lighter beers, and at a thickness of 2 quarts of water per pound of grain.

Adjusting the pH again right before the boil is worthy of consideration, as well. I believe I read some references to some German brewing literature (might have been on Braukaiser) suggesting that for German lager styles, adjusting the boil pH to 5.4 or even lower is desirable as it softens the bitterness extracted from the hops.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2015, 04:11:18 pm »
+2.   I shoot for Saison- 5.2,  other pale beers 5.2-5.3,  APA/IPA  5.4,  darker beers 5.5-5.6.

This is pretty much what I do. I target 5.3-5.4 for pale beers that aren't saisons or lagers. Pale lagers I target 5.2. Otherwise I generally follow the same targets.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2015, 04:42:27 pm »

This is pretty much what I do. I target 5.3-5.4 for pale beers that aren't saisons or lagers. Pale lagers I target 5.2. Otherwise I generally follow the same targets.

Yeah, I left a hole in my pH numbers for beers that aren't really pale, dark, or hop forward (ie., Scottish, some Belgians, etc.). I shoot for 5.3-5.4 for those.
Jon H.

Offline quattlebaum

• Brewer
    • Wildhops
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2015, 04:22:32 pm »
PH has definitely been popular on the forum lately. I once heard AJ Delange say that he felt the boil PH and finial beer PH had the biggest impact. So if one controlled the mash PH the beer should fall into a desired range. His observations seemed to be mashing at 5.2 at room temp (pre boil PH 5.2 also) is ideal for a soft hop profile and anything at or above 5.4 would result in a harsher hop profile when boiling.

He said when it come to finial beer PH he liked 4.2 at room temp for his IPA/ales and 4.4 to 4.6 for lagers/malty styles. He felt that IPA finishing at 4.4 had a soapy finish and anything at 4 or below was acidic. it is an interesting observation mainly because many of the commercial beers that i have been testing finial PH in seem to be on average 4.6 and this is IPAs mainly in the Northwest region. Hell it all comes down to what ya like personally and to be able to manipulate the brewing process to get what ya want in the end. Does anyone else even consider/measure finial beer PH?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2015, 04:27:06 pm »
AJ brewed an IPA???   :o
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline quattlebaum

• Brewer
    • Wildhops
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2015, 04:32:03 pm »
at least he said he did in a pod cast:)

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2015, 05:15:08 pm »

PH has definitely been popular on the forum lately. I once heard AJ Delange say that he felt the boil PH and finial beer PH had the biggest impact. So if one controlled the mash PH the beer should fall into a desired range. His observations seemed to be mashing at 5.2 at room temp (pre boil PH 5.2 also) is ideal for a soft hop profile and anything at or above 5.4 would result in a harsher hop profile when boiling.

He said when it come to finial beer PH he liked 4.2 at room temp for his IPA/ales and 4.4 to 4.6 for lagers/malty styles. He felt that IPA finishing at 4.4 had a soapy finish and anything at 4 or below was acidic. it is an interesting observation mainly because many of the commercial beers that i have been testing finial PH in seem to be on average 4.6 and this is IPAs mainly in the Northwest region. Hell it all comes down to what ya like personally and to be able to manipulate the brewing process to get what ya want in the end. Does anyone else even consider/measure finial beer PH?

Just started measuring beer ph for the reasons you mentioned. Just curious and collecting data points from mash to beer and seeing the impact.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale