Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Luxury  (Read 1714 times)

Offline Hooper

• Brewer
Luxury
« on: March 14, 2015, 08:56:47 pm »
I kegged an Ale Asylum APA yesterday...It is not carbed and wont be for at least a week...But i poured a glass of this beer and thought...What a luxury...I love home brewing...
“Stay with the beer. Beer is continuous blood. A continuous lover.”
—   Charles Bukowski

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
Re: Luxury
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 06:03:07 am »
It is indeed very nice, but I think of it as enjoying the fruits of my labor. After all, brewing is working for one's pleasure and sustenance. I think of luxury being above and beyond what one needs. Beer is a simple pleasure that is nevertheless extremely satisfying. Enjoy it; you made it; you earned it. That's what it's all about for me.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline Joe T

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2015, 06:03:39 am »
I think people are happiest when they are creating. To be rewarded with a bunch of great beer just for doing something that makes you happy is sublime.

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2015, 06:12:13 am »
I can't believe people spend 5 hours playing golf. It costs twice as much, it pisses you off, and all you have to show for it is a bad back.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2015, 07:26:20 am »
I can't believe people spend 5 hours playing golf. It costs twice as much, it pisses you off, and all you have to show for it is a bad back.

+1

My other hobbies are fly fishing and reading. As with brewing, I get much for my toil.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2015, 07:47:11 am »

+1

My other hobbies are fly fishing and reading. As with brewing, I get much for my toil.

+2   ;D
Jon H.

Offline jimmykx250

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2015, 08:21:10 am »
I liken brewing to cooking you are rewarded for your labor, and if your any good your friends and family will enjoy and appreciate the fruits of your labor as well. I too agree on the golf thing, never understood the sport anyway.
Jimmykx250

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2015, 09:41:03 am »

+1

+2   ;D
Thankfully, I'm a better brewer than I am a hunter or angler. Otherwise I'd be hungry and thirsty  ;D

But for most of my hobbies, the journey is more important to me than the destination. I think I enjoy brewing even more than I do drinking beer.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2015, 10:12:25 am »
Golf is a real mystery to me. I don't get it. If the explanation is that it's a reasonable excuse to get away from the house and enjoy some time outdoors with friends with a few beers then I guess I can understand that.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2015, 10:17:47 am »
I love the old Mark Twain quote :  "Golf is a good walk spoiled."  Honestly, it frustrates me because I suck at it. If I cared enough to get a lesson or two and developed some skill, I'm sure I'd like it more. I'd just rather spend my limited free time brewing or reading about it.
Jon H.

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2015, 10:52:03 am »
Wow, rare to see so many anti-golfers in one spot!  Add me to that list. 
I agree though, I very much enjoy walking up to the keezer with an empty pint glass in hand.  There's a lot of work, each keg was it's own brew session and there was planning and gathering ingredients prior to that.  The keezer itself took time and planning.  And the time in between brew days is filled with reading and more planning.  But when I pull that pint, hold it up to the light to judge clarity, marvel at the foam and delight in the taste, it's a well earned treat!

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2015, 11:13:41 am »
I love the old Mark Twain quote :  "Golf is a good walk spoiled."  Honestly, it frustrates me because I suck at it. If I cared enough to get a lesson or two and developed some skill, I'm sure I'd like it more. I'd just rather spend my limited free time brewing or reading about it.
I played in a league for a few years about ten years ago mostly to socialize with a few old friends who convinced me to join. I took a couple lessons but kept getting worse. Big waste of time, should have just met them in the clubhouse. I'll take a walk in the woods over golf any day.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline gsandel

• Brewer
  • www.onbeer.blogspot.com
    • On Beer
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2015, 09:46:02 am »
I watch people playing golf when driving by, and it seems kind of like fun if you didn't keep score...and you are drinking good beer and have good friends you are doing it with.  I think though I would rather keep my hobbies simple....I can take an enjoyable walk to the beer store if I feel the need.

Although fly fishing sounds awesome.
You wouldn't believe the things I've seen...

Offline Stevie

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2015, 09:54:40 am »
I watch people playing golf when driving by, and it seems kind of like fun if you didn't keep score...and you are drinking good beer and have good friends you are doing it with.

That is called the driving range, the only golf I ever play.