Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: bottling from primary fermentation vessel  (Read 9059 times)

Offline metron-brewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • White Bear Lake, MN
Re: bottling from primary fermentation vessel
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2015, 11:03:38 am »
I would say no.

The easiest way to bottle, in my experience so far is to rack to an empty keg with your priming sugar already in it and purged with co2. Seal it and purge again then shake to distribute the sugar and push to bottle with a couple psi of co2.

however, in terms of minimizing losses on a small batch, if you can avoid disturbing the trub it's probably a great way to go.

This method would/should work well for a still mead as well right? Just leave the sugar out.
Ron B.
White Bear Lake, MN

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2015, 12:58:17 pm »
I would say no.

The easiest way to bottle, in my experience so far is to rack to an empty keg with your priming sugar already in it and purged with co2. Seal it and purge again then shake to distribute the sugar and push to bottle with a couple psi of co2.

however, in terms of minimizing losses on a small batch, if you can avoid disturbing the trub it's probably a great way to go.

This method would/should work well for a still mead as well right? Just leave the sugar out.

from a keg you mean? yeah should work fine for still mead. it's not under enough pressure or for long enough to pick up any appreciable carbonation.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline metron-brewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • White Bear Lake, MN
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2015, 01:07:22 pm »
I would say no.

from a keg you mean? yeah should work fine for still mead. it's not under enough pressure or for long enough to pick up any appreciable carbonation.

Yep from a keg. I don't currently have a "Bottling Bucket" and instead of drilling a hole in one of my fermenters I was thinking about doing what you described. I also like the idea of using a CO2 purged keg as opposed to a bucket.
Ron B.
White Bear Lake, MN

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2015, 01:31:21 pm »
I've used Domino's dots before with good success when I use to bottle.
One cube per 12oz bottle gave me good carbonation, if I had to guess maybe 2-2.5 vols.
Yes bucknut, I'll have to admit that's probably the simplest and cheapest bottle carb solution.  But it's one-size-fits-all.  What do I do when I want to bottle some English Bitter at 1.7 volumes of CO2 or Dunkelwiezen at 3.2?  Also how do I know those sugar cubes are reasonably bacteria free?
Well actually if 1 cube in 12oz gives 2.25 vol, then 1 cube in a 16oz bottle would be 1.7 vol. 2 cubes in a 16oz bottle would be 3.4vol.  ;D
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958