Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: New Glarus Crack'd Wheat  (Read 2626 times)

Offline co1056

• 1st Kit
New Glarus Crack'd Wheat
« on: August 17, 2010, 06:28:16 am »
Anyone have a recipe for New Glarus Crack'd Wheat?  A hoppy wheat beer that I know uses Amarillo hops and red wheat.

Cheers!
Chris

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: New Glarus Crack'd Wheat
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 03:23:56 pm »
That's exactly it.  Take any basic hefeweizen recipe with good old WLP380, and jack up the Amarillo hops.  Simple as that.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline thcipriani

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 11:44:58 pm »
I've heard there's some discussion about (and IIRC a recipe for) this beer in Stan Hieronymus' Brewing With Wheat which is a book I still need to buy. I had this beer at GABF last year and wowza - this is one of the best brewed beers I've ever had. I'd be very interested if anyone had any more specifics on this brew.
Tyler Cipriani
Longmont, CO
http://gangsta.party/

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 12:13:18 am »
According to Stan, the primary temp and time are proprietary, the yeast is Bavarian Weizen, it has pilsener, wheat, and caramel malts, 36 ibus, and is hopped with hallertau tradition, cascade, and amarillo.  OG 1.053, 6% abv, 86% ADF.

There's more info scattered throughout that you might be able to glean some information from, so it's worth getting your hands on a copy of the book I think.
Tom Schmidlin