Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Help me understand my score  (Read 3327 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Help me understand my score
« on: March 04, 2015, 01:48:07 pm »
My beer got a 29 and a 36. Why is the overall score a 30? It makes sense that it would be a 33 or 34. Maybe I should read the fine print...haha

As feared, I had carbonation issues after bottling from the keg...
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Help me understand my score
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 01:51:11 pm »
yeah, the fine print usually says something like 'the overall score is not necesarily an average of all scores'. The head judge at the table, or the judges in conference may have decided on a lower overall score. although with two judges you'd thing they could have just averaged it. I guess the guy who gave you a 29 managed to talk the other guy down.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 02:10:22 pm »
Ok thanks. I looked it over very quickly.

I entered it in the wrong category so that and the fact that it was undercarbed explains my score. The 36 makes me feel better so I will just pretend that is the score ;)

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 02:15:43 pm »
I see the section now where it explains the final score. Is it in bad taste to email the judges to get additional feedback? I basically want to see what they would have thought of it if I entered it into the correct category.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2015, 02:40:26 pm »
I see the section now where it explains the final score. Is it in bad taste to email the judges to get additional feedback? I basically want to see what they would have thought of it if I entered it into the correct category.

It's not in bad taste, but it's a crapshoot if they'll remember the beer and be able to give you any further feedback.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2015, 02:42:07 pm »

It's not in bad taste, but it's a crapshoot if they'll remember the beer and be able to give you any further feedback.

Yeah I was kind of thinking that. Wasn't sure if they held on to copies of scoresheets which might help them remember.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2015, 03:09:20 pm »
Yeah I was kind of thinking that. Wasn't sure if they held on to copies of scoresheets which might help them remember.

I know I've never walked away from judging with copies of the scoresheets.  I have had people call me to ask further questions and I generally haven't been able to help them.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2015, 03:11:59 pm »

I know I've never walked away from judging with copies of the scoresheets.  I have had people call me to ask further questions and I generally haven't been able to help them.

Thanks. Sounds promising...haha

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2015, 03:15:33 pm »

Since I have done this in the past I can tell you the best way is to scan your score sheet and also copy your recipe and complete process into the email you send. This way the judge can see his own sheet and the additional recipe info on your beer.

This gives the judge the best complete info to erpovide any additional input you might need to provide.

I actually just did this on a Belgian Strong  that scored a solid 36, advanced to mini BOS but ultimately didn't medal. He score sheet was well written from a National judge but I wanted some additional help in improving the few faults found. The judge replied quite promptly and with really great insight after reviewing the recipe and process and actually remembered the beer!

Never be afraid to email a judge but be sure to give them what they need to get you what you're looking for:)
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2015, 03:22:49 pm »
Thanks! I emailed both of them. If they respond and are willing, I will get the necessary information.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2015, 04:40:12 pm »
I'm sure you will, good luck!
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2015, 04:47:42 pm »
And on the upside, if you got an overall 30 on a beer that was maybe in the wrong category and undercarbed, then it must have been otherwise pretty darn solid beer. Those two issues are easily fixable.
Jon H.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2015, 04:56:41 pm »
And on the upside, if you got an overall 30 on a beer that was maybe in the wrong category and undercarbed, then it must have been otherwise pretty darn solid beer. Those two issues are easily fixable.

This is what I was going to say.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2015, 05:10:14 pm »
It was a pretty big error on my part. It is basically a 'lightly spiced' schwarzbier that I entered into 4C instead of 23. I was light handed with the spices (cinnamon, cloves, ginger, white pepper, and sage) but it is noticeable. Both scoresheets mentioned the phenolic aroma. Not sure what I was thinking when I filled out the entry form...

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2015, 09:07:18 pm »
Hell no.  The consensus score will vary between judging pairs.  In some cases, they will just average, and in others, they'll agree on a score.  If you contact them, be prepared to either scan or transcribe the scoresheet.  I won't remember a beer later necessarily, but if I see my comments, I will usually remember well.  I had a guy in my club that picked on me about my comments on his beer, but it was when he quoted my comments that I remembered exactly the beer and we could discuss it (he wound up dumping the whole batch for exactly the flavors I was getting).  A 30 isn't bad per se, but it indicates a fair amount of minor flaws or 1 significant one.  I've had a beer which won medals (and place BOS) score a 29 due to a bottling mishap (didn't hold carbonation).