Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Help me understand my score  (Read 3330 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Help me understand my score
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2015, 08:06:46 am »
Thanks everyone.

Both judges replied and were super friendly. They have even offered to meet and try the beer again if I wanted to. I wanted additional feedback but soon realized that I didn't really need any. I am confident this beer would have scored better in the correct category with proper carbonation. Who would have thunk...

It was my first lager and I didn't seem to get dinged for any fermentation issues which makes me happy.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline dsmitch19

• Cellarman
    • ASH
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2015, 12:51:48 pm »
It was a pretty big error on my part. It is basically a 'lightly spiced' schwarzbier that I entered into 4C instead of 23. I was light handed with the spices (cinnamon, cloves, ginger, white pepper, and sage) but it is noticeable. Both scoresheets mentioned the phenolic aroma. Not sure what I was thinking when I filled out the entry form...

Probably a better candidate for 21A Spice/Herb/Veg than 23 if you just added spices to a classic style. Glad to hear you connected with your judges and got more feedback.
Cheers!
Dennis Mitchell
Grand Master Judge + Mead Judge
BJCP Communications Director
AHA Governing Committee

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2015, 01:16:52 pm »
Yeah I never mind being contacted about a beer I judged.  It really is necessary to send the scoresheet along with it though. 

I almost always just average the score with the other judge... but there are times where you don't necessarily want to do that.  For example if the average score is 37 and they need a 38 to get an honorable mention. 

I've been to some comps where medals are handed out soley based on score (like all beers in a certain range get bronze medals, next range up silvers, etc...)
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2015, 09:34:15 pm »
+1 on scanning your score sheet and attaching that when emailing the judge.  The few times that I've had that done to me really helped jog my memory.

I've even gone so far as to REQUEST the brewer contact me in the case of a particularly strange off flavor that I couldn't identify, but whoever it was never did.  It's too bad, because I really wanted to help figure it out.

Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge