Author Topic: Brewer Bio: flbrewer  (Read 1231 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
    • View Profile
Brewer Bio: flbrewer
« on: February 12, 2015, 12:45:52 AM »
Greetings everyone, Justin here from Jacksonville Florida. I've been a home brewer since April of 2013. Thus far I've really been focused on Pale Ales and IPAs. I'd like to continue to work on the Pale Ale style this year and begin to explore sours as well.

My first brew was the American Wheat extract kit from Northern Brewery. It turned out...as beer. Nothing memorable, but nothing that knocked my socks off. I brewed around 5 kits or so and experiemented with some (awful) one gallon recipes I made up myself. Of course pitching while the beer was in the 80's didn't help! There were certainly times during this period where I questioned if I wanted to continue with the hobby.

I have just begun to brew all grain and it's been a really enjoyable transition. Considering how easy batch sparging has been for me, I wish I would have started with this method. Moving the entire operation in the garage/ outside has been a welcomed change and has made things much more enjoyable.

I'm currently brewing ~5 gallon batches using a 10 gallon Blichmann Boilermaker G2 boil kettle/ hot liquor tank, and a 10 gallon Rubbermaid round cooler for my mash tun. My fermenter continues to the 30L Speidel.

I have shared my homebrew with friends and family and their response has been positive. I am certainly my biggest critic and my goal is to brew repeatable beers that I find at par with what I buy commercially.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 12:48:12 AM by flbrewer »

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
    • View Profile
Re: Brewer Bio: flbrewer
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 01:46:11 AM »
Shorts and T-shirt in February  :'(.  I'm jealous.   Nice brewing setup!  And good to put a face with the screen name.
Steve
All Hands Brewing
BJCP #D1667

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 01:49:23 AM »
Thanks! To be fair, it was a little cool (low 70's).  ;D

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 02:28:22 AM »
Now I can refer to you as Justin. I'm always my biggest critic. Makes it hard to accept opinions.

Offline quattlebaum

• Brewer
    • View Profile
    • Wildhops
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2015, 02:29:39 AM »
Nice Justin! makes me miss Jacks. I lived over the ditch in Ponte Vedra. Went to UNF back in 2000 i do miss those days:) live in idaho Falls now but frequently miss the beach/surf. O ya it must have been a bit chilly in the low 70s:) 

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
    • Accidentalis Brewing Blog
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2015, 05:10:09 AM »
Welcome! Spent a poorly timed cruise out of Jacksonville about 8 years ago. Good times with good friends despite the hurricane! :) keep asking questions... Some of the most experienced Brewers are here!
Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot
Blogging from the garage @ accidentalis.com
>> Bru'n Water Spreadsheet Walkthroughs<<
>> Bru'n Water Subscriber Version 5.3 Spreadsheet Walkthrough <<

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
  • Fighting for Truth, Justice & Home Brew
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2015, 07:05:00 AM »
Nice Legs! No, really!  It is good to put a face to the name. You're on the forum quite a bit and ask some really good questions. I have a feeling you will be a formidable brewer soon if you aren't already.

You are among good and knowledgeable company here. Brew on!
Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
Member: Umpqua Valley Brewers Guild
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

"Have no fear of perfection...you'll never reach it" ~Salvador Dali

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up? Definitely optional!"

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2015, 10:35:19 PM »
Nice Justin! makes me miss Jacks. I lived over the ditch in Ponte Vedra. Went to UNF back in 2000 i do miss those days:) live in idaho Falls now but frequently miss the beach/surf. O ya it must have been a bit chilly in the low 70s:)

You're not missing a whole lot! Although we do have a handful of really great breweries in town now.

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2015, 10:35:50 PM »
Nice Legs! No, really!  It is good to put a face to the name. You're on the forum quite a bit and ask some really good questions. I have a feeling you will be a formidable brewer soon if you aren't already.

You are among good and knowledgeable company here. Brew on!

Hilarious, and too kind  ;D

Offline goobersan

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2015, 03:43:42 AM »
Welcome to the addiction.  I started around the same time as you did.  What a wonderful hobby.  Great people,  here and the craft brewing community
Thank your mentor
Be a mentor
Brew Better Beer

Offline jaftak22

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2015, 01:18:16 AM »
I grew up in Melbourne, miss it sometimes. My sister in-law is from Jacksonville. Hope to get stationed at Ft Stewart after we are done in Fairbanks, AK. Would be awesome to catch a Dolphins/Jag game!

Offline jaftak22

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2015, 01:19:07 AM »
I grew up in Melbourne, miss it sometimes. My sister in-law is from Jacksonville. Hope to get stationed at Ft Stewart after we are done in Fairbanks, AK. Would be awesome to catch a Dolphins/Jag game!

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2015, 09:21:09 PM »

Awesome, small world.

Offline riceral

• Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2015, 10:30:24 PM »

Awesome, small world.

Grew up in Eau Gallie and Merritt Island. Worked in Gainesville for 10+ years, then moved to Jacksonville after school. Spent some time in Seward Alaska. Back in Gainesville.

Small world in deed.
Ralph R.