Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Zymurgy's 2014 Best Beers in America voting now open!  (Read 4655 times)

Offline duncan

• AHA / BA
  • Administrator
  • Brewer
    • HomebrewersAssociation.org
Zymurgy's 2014 Best Beers in America voting now open!
« on: February 21, 2014, 11:04:23 am »

Voting is now open for the 2014 Best Beers in America!

American Homebrewers Association (AHA) members can submit votes for up to 20 of their favorite commercially-available beers until March 14, 2014. Only one ballot is accepted per AHA member.

The winners will be announced in the July/August 2014 issue of Zymurgy magazine, along with clone recipes for a selection of the winners.

Vote Now!

Cheers,
Duncan
American Homebrewers Association / Brewers Association

Offline johnny_mo

• Cellarman
Re: Zymurgy's 2014 Best Beers in America voting now open!
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 10:22:05 am »

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 08:52:05 pm »
Not to throw a turd in this punchbowl, but what good are these sort of awards?

<rant on>

I'm positive that somewhere out there, there is some awesome brewery in the middle of Podunk, WY or somewhere similar, that makes a much better version of a (pick your beer style here) than the one from (name some widely distributed high quality brewery here).  Nobody heard of (PodunkBrau), so it gets the 1 vote from the one guy that lives in the farm down the street who actually tasted it. Yet, everybody and their brother heard of (PopularBrew), so it wins because people heard of it before.  Nobody is disputing that (PopularBrew) is a good beer.  The question is whether its the BEST as the contest title is claiming.

I guess I'm saying I just would rather see these beers actually compete head to head like at GABF, not in some unfounded popularity contest, and promoting these 'contests' is entertaining but doesn't help anyone but the already-big ones.

<rant off/>
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Zymurgy's 2014 Best Beers in America voting now open!
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 09:01:09 pm »
How about we all vote for Boston Lager? Maybe then Jim Koch won't be so grumpy.

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
    • Accidentalis Brewing Blog
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 09:33:05 pm »
This topic is soooo 2015.
Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot
Blogging from the garage @ accidentalis.com
>> Bru'n Water Spreadsheet Walkthroughs<<
>> Bru'n Water Subscriber Version 5.3 Spreadsheet Walkthrough <<

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2015, 10:15:55 am »
Not to throw a turd in this punchbowl, but what good are these sort of awards?

<rant on>

I'm positive that somewhere out there, there is some awesome brewery in the middle of Podunk, WY or somewhere similar, that makes a much better version of a (pick your beer style here) than the one from (name some widely distributed high quality brewery here).  Nobody heard of (PodunkBrau), so it gets the 1 vote from the one guy that lives in the farm down the street who actually tasted it. Yet, everybody and their brother heard of (PopularBrew), so it wins because people heard of it before.  Nobody is disputing that (PopularBrew) is a good beer.  The question is whether its the BEST as the contest title is claiming.

I guess I'm saying I just would rather see these beers actually compete head to head like at GABF, not in some unfounded popularity contest, and promoting these 'contests' is entertaining but doesn't help anyone but the already-big ones.

<rant off/>

Well said.
Jon H.

Offline factory

• Brewer
  • Virginia Beach, VA
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2015, 06:16:18 am »
I never tasted Pliney the Elder, but I wonder if it will be voted #1 again. I wonder how many people rank a beer that they have never tasted, and rank it highly because "everyone else does"?

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2015, 07:03:34 am »
I never tasted Pliney the Elder, but I wonder if it will be voted #1 again. I wonder how many people rank a beer that they have never tasted, and rank it highly because "everyone else does"?
This past weekend I was at the tasting room in Deschutes Brewery waiting in line to pay for my bombers and for a customer and the cashier to finish their discussion of how great Pliney is because the lines are so long at that brewery. The cashier was trying really hard to explain the difference between younger and elder and which one creates lines. Finally the beer snob customer admitted that he hadn't tried either yet, but he's certain they are the best beers in the world.

When it was my turn, I really wanted to be snarky but I had a nice sampler zen moment going and didn't want to get my chi in a twist
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 07:06:45 am by klickitat jim »

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2015, 08:46:28 am »
we have to keep doing these awards, so I can keep enjoying the annual BeerAdvocate threads b****ing about how wrong the winner list is.   ;D

It's a bunch of homebrewers' FAVORITE beers.  By definition my list isn't wrong, it's just MINE. 

Ima put Orval at the top of my list again.  Love that stuff.

cheers--
--Michael

Offline braufessor

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2015, 11:42:55 am »
How about we all vote for Boston Lager? Maybe then Jim Koch won't be so grumpy.

Hahahahahaha.... thanks for the coffee I just spit on my desk.  Although, I am kind of leaning toward Sierra Nevada IPA...... there is just something about the label that makes me want to drink more of it ;)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2015, 11:57:11 am »
we have to keep doing these awards, so I can keep enjoying the annual BeerAdvocate threads b****ing about how wrong the winner list is.   ;D

It's a bunch of homebrewers' FAVORITE beers.  By definition my list isn't wrong, it's just MINE. 

Ima put Orval at the top of my list again.  Love that stuff.

cheers--
--Michael
As they would say in Germany, "every year, same procedure".
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!