Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: how to add herbs for flavors  (Read 2699 times)

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: how to add herbs for flavors
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2015, 10:55:35 am »
You can always add more.  You can't take it away (without diluting).  I would start small. 

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2015, 11:28:46 am »
When you say quite a bit, for a 5 gallon batch like a very hardy dense handful or two?  And just the leaves or stalks as well?
Just the leaves. I guess I'm thinking 2-3 cups loosely packed leaves. Check every day but be careful to sanitize thoroughly whatever you use to draw a sample.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

cptnpenguin

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2015, 12:10:41 pm »
Should I sanitize the leaves with star san?  Or just rinse off with filtered water first?

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2015, 12:30:53 pm »
Should I sanitize the leaves with star san?  Or just rinse off with filtered water first?
I have gotten away with just cleaning herbs etc. My feeling is that there is enough alcohol at this point and aromatic herbs don't tend to be hospitable to bad microflora but I'm interested in what others have to say. Its an excellent question.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2015, 12:37:44 pm »
I have gotten away with just cleaning herbs etc. My feeling is that there is enough alcohol at this point and aromatic herbs don't tend to be hospitable to bad microflora but I'm interested in what others have to say. Its an excellent question.

even more important than the alcohol, the pH is low at this point.  That will really help prevent contamination.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2015, 03:01:13 pm »
Cpt, did you ever brew this? I have a saison in primary right now for less than a week and the lemon balm in the garden is quite nice right now. Really just curious how it came out if you did make it, and how much, when, etc?
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

cptnpenguin

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2015, 12:13:29 pm »
69franx,  not yet. I ended up trying a different saison recipe and now I'm still waiting on the secondary pitch (wild yeast) to slowly get it down to a lower SG (it's been at least 4 months since a pitched a second yeast).  Due up for another check soon.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."