Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Looking for feedback  (Read 3195 times)

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Looking for feedback
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2015, 04:15:05 pm »
Fellow brewers,

My cousin and I are fairly new to the home brewing family and were looking for some advice.  Currently we have a VERY basic set up of a few 5 gallon turkey fryers, fermentors, carboys, and all the other basic essentials.  We are moving forward with the goal in mind of starting a nano brewery and eventually a micro brewery.  We have the ability to, right now, renovate our basement to hold a slop sink, have proper ventilation, and upgrade our brewing system to a 15 gallon professional grade set up.  Is this something that would be as beneficial as we believe or are we wasting our time and money?  Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Andy

where are you located?

We are up here in sunny Seattle

It sure has been sunny lately.  (I'm over in Port Angeles)

The TTB told us when we got our federal license that there can be no egress from the brewery to the residential space.  Meaning separate entrance, with no door between the brewery and the house.  We have a 30X40 detached building that we did get approved.  Luckily already zone light "home business."  Which in my County just means nothing can be stored outside.  As long as all operations are inside the four walls, we are good.  All the state really cared about was that we got approved by the feds.  And, we are about 3 blocks outside the city limits, so they have no jurisdiction. 

We started our commercial operation with a 15 gallon system, but now have a 1bbl set-up.  It's not a revenue generator.  But it does pay for itself, and we get to brew a lot.  (Although tonight is keg cleaning day, Oh Joy!)

Offline phunhog

• Brewer
Re: Looking for feedback
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2015, 11:10:33 am »
As everyone has already said you have to check out your local laws...they always seem to be the most restrictive.  My city won't let me use my detached garage for a business without a zoning variance (expensive).  In the mean time work within the laws to see what you can do!!  In California we have a great, newer law that allows homebrewers to donate beer to charity events.  It allows you to brew more often and your beer gets some exposure to people other than just your friends.  We sell brewery schwag at these events to absorb some of our costs.  It HAS opened my eyes to the amount of work it takes to operate a commercial brewery.  Just not sure it's worth it. My plan B is to just make my garage into an awesome underground tap room for family and friends.  The general public can continue to drink my beers at charity events. 
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 11:25:35 am by phunhog »