Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Safale US-05 in Sour - stuck  (Read 3285 times)

Offline levensailor

• 1st Kit
Safale US-05 in Sour - stuck
« on: March 05, 2015, 02:31:48 pm »
I'm making a gose
I soured my wort with Lacto for a couple months. I know it was pH 4.5 a couple weeks prior to boiling, but my pH meter broke, so it would be somewhere around 4 would be my guess.

So last weekend I boiled and added Safale US-05 - I boiled some water, let it cool, and added the dry yeast for 30 minutes prior to pitching as it stated, and pitched at around 75 F.

So it's been 5 days and there's no krausen. I've 1) never used dry yeast and 2) never made a sour, so i wanted to know what the experts thought, and what could be done to turn this around?

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Safale US-05 in Sour - stuck
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 02:36:24 pm »
have you taken a gravity reading? it's possible the pH is too low for the us-05 but it's also possible it just finished up really fast and you missed it. 75 is pretty warm temp to pitch at so the yeast would be going hyperfast already. gose is pretty low gravity and the lacto ate a chunk of the sugar before the yeast even got in there. I'd take a gravity before you do anything else.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 02:40:47 pm »
What is the gravity
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 02:42:49 pm »
It's also possible that in the months it soured something else got in and fermented it. Again, gravity would tell you where it is.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 09:03:37 am »
I'm also suspicious that your beer is already fermented out. There may have been something mixed in the lacto culture or something else that got into the beer that fermented it out. Lacto can ferment maltose--not as well as beer yeast--so it is also possible that you just have an all lacto-fermented beer. So check the gravity for sure.

If none of that is the case and the gravity is still relatively high then look at the 05 pitch. You need to overpitch into a sour beer to get a decently quick fermentation due to the harsh conditions but with time 05 will ferment out a beer even in the upper 3 ph, possibly lower as well. In my experience yeast won't make a great krausen in an acidified beer so don't expect that to be an indication of fermentation. Check the gravity.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2015, 09:26:16 am »
Just out of curiosity what lacto strain did you pitch?

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2015, 11:10:53 am »
I soured my wort with Lacto for a couple months.
That seems like an AWFULLY long time to leave wort around without the protection of acidity or alcohol. I don't think "months" is the general timeline for presouring wort prior to pitching.