Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Doctors Orders. Now what?  (Read 3206 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Doctors Orders. Now what?
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2015, 09:25:06 pm »
OK. So I guess I was a little overly cautious about posting medical info on line. But we are all friend here.
This all is about me having two bouts of pancreatitis about 9 months apart. It was no fun. Down and out for 5 days. Think the flu without the projectile from both ends but three times the pain. After too many blood draws, CT scans and MRIs, all 4 Dr.s have no clue as to what is causing it.
GI Dr says no alcohol to see if it returns to rule out that as a problem. I tried to assure him that I am a light to moderate drinker (true) and the week before this last one I had only two drinks over a 6 day trip. But he was not swayed.
So that is my story. I have started sampling Kombucha and hope to have a starter culture in a few week.
For what it's worth, alcohol is so closely tied to pancreatitis that there's no way any prudent doctor wouldn't assume that it could be a contributing factor. Don't take it as a personal judgement; your GI is just doing his job. Pancreatitis is something you don't want to mess with (as I'm sure you understand by now). I would definitely follow his advice to avoid alcohol until you can get to the bottom of what's going on. I've seen it first hand myself - my mom developed diabetes following some severe pancreatitis because of years of alcoholism.

Enjoy that kombucha. I've got my first batch going right now, myself.

I hope everything works out for the best for you. I'll be sure to toast your health the next time I pour a beer.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline macbrews

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2015, 08:50:06 am »
Acute and chronic pancreatitis is a very serious problem.  The two most common causes are alcohol use and gallstone pancreatitis (due to a obstruction of the biliary tract).  Assuming that you don't have the latter, the most likely reason is alcohol consumption.

Chronic pancreatitis can to lead to diabetes as well as pancreatic cancer among many other problems.  The costs of treating chronic pancreatitis can also be very taxing.

You have to make a very important decision about your health.  One of the most common things I hear from patients is "I wish I had....."

Take it with the utmost seriousness. 

Offline HobsonDrake

• Assistant Brewer
  • Beaverton, OR
    • Brew Batch List
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2015, 10:27:04 am »
Macbrews and erochrph,

Believe me I am taking this very serious. I lost my father to pancreatic cancer a few years ago. If I wasn't I would not have posted the original question.
All my CT and MRI tests did not show any stones or anything. So at least I have that going for me.
But it does suck that the one thing they know can cause an issue is something I like a lot.
Alcoholism is not my issue. I have always been a light (weight) drinker. So no worries there.

I guess my friends will benefit the most out of this. They are going to be getting a lot more stuff to drink. :)

Check out my brew history and recipes at http://www.hobsondrake.com/BrewList.html

John D.

Offline Mary Izett

• 1st Kit
  • fermenter of many things
    • My Life on Craft
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2015, 07:41:54 pm »
Plus one for making sodas & water kefir. I had to stop drinking alcohol for a bit last year due to a stomach issue  and homemade soda & water kefir were great, especially for taking to parties. Water kefir expresses hops beautifully so that's a nice beverage to make if you crave something hoppy. Lacto-fermented and ginger bug-fermented sodas are really lovely, too. Water kefir, lacto and ginger bug-fermented sodas can all be encouraged to go sour and are a nice non-alcoholic substitute for sour beers.

I haven't done it yet but I'm intrigued by brewing non-alcoholic beers. You can brew a regular batch and then convert part of it to a non-alcoholic brew. So you could potentially drink the same beer you're serving to your buddies without the alcohol. I really need to try this - there are definitely times I crave the aroma & flavor of a beer but don't want the alcohol.

It sucks to have to give up something you enjoy but maybe you can turn this into an opportunity to explore some other fun ferments.

Mary
Author of Speed Brewing,
BJCP National Judge,
Co-Host of Fuhmentaboudit on Heritage Radio Network,
President, Cuzett Libations