Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: OG Question  (Read 4314 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
OG Question
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2015, 09:06:20 am »
Yup that's the beer. I have checked the hydrometer w distilled water and it is spot on zero.

I plan on doing a bigger batch of it this weekend.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
Re: OG Question
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2015, 09:11:04 am »
Yup that's the beer. I have checked the hydrometer w distilled water and it is spot on zero.

I plan on doing a bigger batch of it this weekend.

ok. and it was the California ale yeast you used? 
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2015, 09:11:17 am »
Yes

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2015, 09:20:19 am »
Yes

i've read people getting into the mid to high 80's ADT with california ale. anyway, as we discussed, try the beer and perhaps get your mash temp in the 150-151F range if you want less attenuation on the next batch.

couple things could have happened on your pre boil and post boil gravity-wort was thoroughly mixed for accurate representation of gravity, and or you boild off more and had a more concentrated wort. taking your gravity reading at first boil should get you an accurate reading, and then reading at flameout. i also take a refractometer reading once i transfer to carboy and its all mixed up.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 09:22:19 am by Wort-H.O.G. »
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2015, 09:21:01 am »
So a quick update, I believe fermentation is pretty much done (confirming in a couple of days) and I'm at 1.004! What a low FG considering I started with 1.056, which Beersmith tells me is about 76% efficiency.

It sure doesn't taste like 6.83%, so I'm thinking my FG reading was off somehow. Any thoughts?

Trust your hydrometer.  It's more accurate than your taste.  A 1.056 beer could easily go to 1.004 with the mash schedule you used.  I don't recall the yeast, but something like US05 would certainly make it possible.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2015, 09:22:21 am »
Ok good info. I will ensure I really mix up the pre boil wort before taking a reading. I'll also wait until the wort is really mixed up in the carboy to draw a post boil reading.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2015, 09:23:15 am »
So a quick update, I believe fermentation is pretty much done (confirming in a couple of days) and I'm at 1.004! What a low FG considering I started with 1.056, which Beersmith tells me is about 76% efficiency.

It sure doesn't taste like 6.83%, so I'm thinking my FG reading was off somehow. Any thoughts?

Trust your hydrometer.  It's more accurate than your taste.  A 1.056 beer could easily go to 1.004 with the mash schedule you used.  I don't recall the yeast, but something like US05 would certainly make it possible.

used California ale
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2015, 09:23:48 am »
My last two ales with 001 and 1056 came in at 84 and 85 % attenuation. 

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2015, 09:33:15 am »
Ok good info. I will ensure I really mix up the pre boil wort before taking a reading. I'll also wait until the wort is really mixed up in the carboy to draw a post boil reading.

Unless you do a small boil and top up, there's no reason to worry about mixing post boil.  For the preboil reading, just wait until it boils for a minute or so then take a reading.  The boil will mix it thoroughly.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2015, 09:34:00 am »

used California ale

OK, then given the mash temp his numbers are totally believable.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2015, 09:41:37 am »

Unless you do a small boil and top up, there's no reason to worry about mixing post boil.  For the preboil reading, just wait until it boils for a minute or so then take a reading.  The boil will mix it thoroughly.

im a refractometer guy.for me,  i can say having taking multiple reading at different points in the process, that accuracy and consistency of the gravity readings were when post boil was cooled, trub settled, transferred and then take my final reading (refractometer compared to hydrometer).
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2015, 09:42:32 am »

used California ale

I should mention that I mashed for 75 minutes if that matters.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2015, 09:45:25 am »

used California ale

I should mention that I mashed for 75 minutes if that matters.

only that the extended time at lower mash temp helped ensure your maximum potential for conversion given your grist and crush. the estimates in software for OG and other are just that..estimates. your practices and variables will determine reality that is repeatable.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2015, 10:18:17 am »
im a refractometer guy.for me,  i can say having taking multiple reading at different points in the process, that accuracy and consistency of the gravity readings were when post boil was cooled, trub settled, transferred and then take my final reading (refractometer compared to hydrometer).

My experience with a hydrometer is that I get the same reading in each of those situations.  I take a reading during the last minute or so if the boil to be sure I'm on target.  I always get the same reading after the wort is chilled.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2015, 10:19:24 am »

My experience with a hydrometer is that I get the same reading in each of those situations.  I take a reading during the last minute or so if the boil to be sure I'm on target.  I always get the same reading after the wort is chilled.

makes sense-im working with a samller sample size.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next: