Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: hop growing in the nv desert  (Read 5650 times)

Offline sheets

• 1st Kit
hop growing in the nv desert
« on: April 01, 2010, 07:13:42 pm »
i read just about every forum relating to growing hops but couldnt find any advice on growing them in the desert. can someone please help me out or just tell me its impossible? i live in the las vegas area if anyone else knows the climate/soil characteristics

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: hop growing in the nv desert
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 07:29:11 pm »
I don't know about impossible, but it's gonna be very difficult.  You might check out the gardening tips at freshops.com and see if you can get any ideas.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 07:47:33 pm »
I think you're gonna need some drip irrigation.  If you let 'em dry out, even for a day, they'll have big problems.  Mine seem to do fine when they have water, but my climate isn't quite as hot as yours.
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na ZdravĂ­

Offline sheets

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 05:21:58 pm »
I don't know about impossible, but it's gonna be very difficult.  You might check out the gardening tips at freshops.com and see if you can get any ideas.
checked out the site, has alot of good info for gardening but doesnt mention anything about climate conditions but i decided im gonna go for it anyway. i have huge roman collumns in my back yard with a big overhang i just cant let go to waste. got myself a couple cascade and nugget rhizomes, wish me luck!

Thanks for the help, Slainte!

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 07:08:24 am »
I grow Cascades and Nuggets in he New Mexico desert, they do great.  I use drip irrigation and water them twice per week.  The roots need to dry out, you don't want them soggy.  And the lack of humidity keeps a lot of problems like insects and mildew under control.  I have very alkaline crappy soil but that's easy to fix with some well composted steer manure, plus I add sand for better drainage.  Go for it
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 09:05:03 am »
Sierra Nevada grows hops on their property in Chico, Ca.  Not Nevada hot, but still hot and dry.   

The drip irrigation and well drained soil is great advice.  Hops like soil that is neutral to slightly acidic, pH in the 6-7 range.  You might consider 3-1-1 fertilizer if your soil lacks in nutrition.

Hops require a lot of sun, but I think you have that in surplus.   Good luck. 
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline sheets

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 10:58:45 am »
thanks for the help everybody, I just picked up some high compost and peat moss soil and I'm setting up a drip irrigation system this weekend and i have a killer trellis setup already. if all goes well will i get at least a little bit of use-able crop this year?

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 04:14:02 pm »
Probably not, next year you should get some and the year after they should be doing great.  Use this year to help them grow strong healthy root systems.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline Malticulous

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2010, 12:33:46 pm »
I'm planted a Cascade and a Sterling in St. George a few months ago. The Sterling is doing best but it's only a foot so long, and that's after one of the wettest springs I've seen here.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 12:35:57 pm by Malticulous »

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2010, 11:44:03 am »
I have been attempting to grow hops in Phoenix now for 3+yrs... mostly unsucessful until this year... Since your climate is damn near like PHX its going to be tough... Currently I have some on a South facing wall and some on an East facing wall. So far all are doing awsome but the true test will be once it gets over a 100F every day. I also have mine in pots so I can move them around somewhat if needed, so far doesn't look like I'm going to need to. They are all at least 8' tall and a few now have cones. This is the 1st time in 3yrs that I've made it this far... getting cones. My watering schedule has been 1 gal water every other day and every other watering has a fertilizer mixed into the water. They are planted in a 50/50 mix of homemade compost and potting soil and multched with alfalfa.

Hops grown between the 35th and 55th parallels, so you're within the range (PHX is on the 33rd) but you're going to definately need to make sure they have good drainage, lots of water and really good afternoon shade. Hopefully they are on the East or South facing part of your trellis. Good luck!
Phoenix, AZ