Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Session Saison?  (Read 5785 times)

Offline BrodyR

• Brewmaster
  • Philadelphia, PA
Re: Session Saison?
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2015, 09:44:56 am »
I had the experience of using wyeast 3724 Belgium Saison for my last saison.. It took 7 weeks at 32 deg ferment Nd a lot of love. Brewed with caramunich and caravienna, just popped the first one 2 days ago and it is probably one of the best beer i have ever made...unbelievably saison at almost 1.070 OG down to 1.012 FG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

32 degrees? Is that celsius (which would be around 90f)?

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2015, 10:49:37 am »
I would guess yes, 32c/90f which is the recently suggested temp from Wyeast, several threads on here about it in the last year. I have only used it once, but did ferment at the 90°. It went from 1.051 down to 1.008 in a little over 3 weeks. Not issues from high ferm temp
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline Master_Dam

• 1st Kit
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2015, 10:53:37 am »
Correct! 32C sometimes up to 34C over 90F. 7 weeks till 1.012 FG (suggested for this saison).. Amazing no off taste, incredible smell perfect color. This is a picture after 2 weeks of bottle conditioning

Offline 69franx

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2015, 10:54:55 am »
I'd like one of those right about now!
Frank L.
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2015, 11:35:10 am »
I've got a saison fermenting right now, WY3724 sitting at 92*F. It's been fermenting for a little over a week. I was aiming for 6% abv, but due to efficiency problems it'll likely finish closer to 5% so it'll do as a session beer. Haven't tasted it yet but when I replaced the blowoff tube with a normal airlock the aroma was fantastic. I plan on pulling a sample tonight.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2015, 12:17:47 pm »
I had the experience of using wyeast 3724 Belgium Saison for my last saison.. It took 7 weeks at 32 deg ferment Nd a lot of love. Brewed with caramunich and caravienna, just popped the first one 2 days ago and it is probably one of the best beer i have ever made...unbelievably saison at almost 1.070 OG down to 1.012 FG

I'd keep an eye on those bottles and keep them really cold. 1.012 doesn't seem like a reasonable FG for a 1.070 wort with that yeast. I could be wrong but I'm afraid you may have bottled too soon. I would expect 1.007 or less.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Master_Dam

• 1st Kit
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2015, 12:24:52 pm »
I agree, FG for these beers it is usually lower. In this particular case i followed a recipe to clone a Saison Duvel that indicated that FG. Thinking it was part of the deal i followed. I bottled 2 weeks ago.. I'll wait a few more days for a bit more  of carbonation and i'll refrig all of them.
Thanks for the suggestion i'll welcome any other thoughts from you guys!

Offline 69franx

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2015, 01:06:45 pm »
Another note is the suggestion to not use an airlock or blow off tube with this yeast, think it was from Denny or Drew in Experimental Homebrewing. I did not do it that way, but do plan on trying it on the next batch late Spring. If I remember correctly, it had to do with the yeast not dealing well with the pressure built up with either device early in fermentation, causing stressed yeast and nasty(technical term  ::)) flavors. Think the suggestion was to simply cover opening with some loose fitting foil: just dont let anything fall in, etc. I could be totally wrong on the source, but I know I saw it on here as well within the last 2 months or so
Frank L.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2015, 01:08:49 pm »

I'd keep an eye on those bottles and keep them really cold. 1.012 doesn't seem like a reasonable FG for a 1.070 wort with that yeast. I could be wrong but I'm afraid you may have bottled too soon. I would expect 1.007 or less.

+1
Jon H.

Offline 69franx

« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2015, 01:11:47 pm »
http://https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=16506.msg259246#msg259246

Here's the thread I based my brew off of, lots of great thoughts on this yeast
Frank L.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2015, 06:21:35 pm »
Pulled a sample today, SG 1.016. With a 1.052 OG, about what should I expect my final gravity to be with Wyeast 3724? Beersmith says 1.011, but I've never really trusted it. Beer seems pretty sweet still, I'll pull another sample in two days and see if it's moved any.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2015, 06:24:38 pm »

Pulled a sample today, SG 1.016. With a 1.052 OG, about what should I expect my final gravity to be with Wyeast 3724? Beersmith says 1.011, but I've never really trusted it. Beer seems pretty sweet still, I'll pull another sample in two days and see if it's moved any.
>90% ADF isn't at all uncommon.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2015, 06:28:32 pm »

Depends on your grain bill and mash temp.  I mash @ 147 / 90 mins typically with 3724 and got down to 1.002 last time. Those software FG estimates are pretty much utterly useless. Too many factors determine FG - grist, mash temp, yeast strain/quantity/health, fermentation temp schedule, etc.
Jon H.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2015, 06:35:19 pm »
Yeah I knew I probably should have posted the grist/mash schedule.

Here it is:

Grist:

8 lbs Dingemans pilsner malt
2 lbs weyermann dark wheat malt

125.6 F       15 min       
145.4 F       45 min       
161.6 F       30 min       
172.4 F       10 min   

1 lb. D-90 Belgian candi syrup added at the start of the 90 minute boil.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2015, 06:51:08 pm »

Yeah I knew I probably should have posted the grist/mash schedule.

Here it is:

Grist:

8 lbs Dingemans pilsner malt
2 lbs weyermann dark wheat malt

125.6 F       15 min       
145.4 F       45 min       
161.6 F       30 min       
172.4 F       10 min   

1 lb. D-90 Belgian candi syrup added at the start of the 90 minute boil.

I can't say for sure, but given your OG, grist, and fermenting @ 90F+ with 3724, I wouldn't be surprised to see it get below 1.004 FG. Give it time and it may get there. Be sure to post how it comes out.
Jon H.