Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: bock under attenuated  (Read 980 times)

Offline DW

• Assistant Brewer
bock under attenuated
« on: March 08, 2015, 11:27:02 am »
I know this question has been asked a thousand times, but my 1.085 bock was supposed to go to 1.02, and is stuck at 1.03.  been on the yeast for about a month.  i had turned the temp up to 57.  is there any hope?  i did use extract with 1 pound pilsner malt/specialty grains......... :'( :'(

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: bock under attenuated
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 01:24:30 pm »
Many extracts (except for the palest Briess) are nowhere near as fermentable as all grain, so this could be the main issue. Turning up to 57 is a good start, but I would move the fermenter into a room temp room (ie., 68-75F) - the warmer temp and moving of the fermenter will rouse the yeast up into suspension a bit and MAYBE get the yeast to eat a few points. You should post your recipe details.
Jon H.

Online dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 01:54:13 pm »
Might be the yeast's fault.  What yeast did you use?
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline DW

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 11:25:33 am »
Might be the yeast's fault.  What yeast did you use?

Yeast Bavarian Lager.  The recipe is the Dopplebock (Mr Maltinator) from "Brewing Classic Styles" .

Online dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 05:51:01 am »
There's a combination of several things going on here.

1) Jamil and John Palmer aren't perfect.  They screwed up.

2) Two pounds of CaraMunich is kind of a lot for an extract beer.

3) Like Hoosier said, extracts often don't ferment down very well.  A lot of times the pilsner extract will ferment out fine, but those specialty extracts such as the Munich extract might not.

4) The yeast you used is only capable of about 73-75% attenuation, so the best attenuation you probably could have expected is about 1.023 or maybe 1.022 at best.

I would have jacked up the partial-mash pilsner malt, added 1-1.5 lb table sugar in place of some extract, and used distilled water (you didn't specify your water).  All of these things would have guaranteed a lower FG as well as a better tasting beer.  See all my generic guidance for extract brewing here, it might help you out for next time:

Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.