Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: ECY29 Northeast Ale (a.k.a. Conan Yeast)  (Read 7248 times)

Offline sambates

• Cellarman
ECY29 Northeast Ale (a.k.a. Conan Yeast)
« on: April 30, 2014, 08:12:29 pm »
I have a vial of this on hand, which is "cloned" from the Conan yeast that has been made famous via Heady Topper. I want to go off the grid and make a robust porter with the strain, which is atypical since it's typically used for hop-forward beers.

Has anyone experimented using this yeast in anything other than an APA, IPA, or IIPA? I'd be curious just to see how your brews turned out.
Tap: Brandy Barrel Sour, Brett IPA, Tart Cherry Berliner, Sour Coffee Porter, Witbier, Helles Bock, Helles Bock Braggot, Strawberry "Nebraskambic," Raspberry Flanders
Secondary: OatRye Blonde, Plout Sour, Blueberry Ginger Sour
Primary:Belgian Dark Strong, Scottish Wee Heavy, American Session Wild Ale, Brandy Barrel "Lincolnambic"

Offline Fermented-minds

• 1st Kit
Re: ECY29 Northeast Ale (a.k.a. Conan Yeast)
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 02:26:54 pm »
I have use The Yeast Bay Vermont Ale in a dark beer, but admittedly it was in a cascadian dark ale style beer.

The dark grains in general though went well with the ester profile of the yeast, somewhat surprisingly so.

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 02:59:07 pm »
I have a heady topper clone on tap right now, albeit made with yeast we cultured up from a few cans.

I'd venture to say a porter might even be better than IPA with that yeast...
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline Fermented-minds

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 03:18:13 pm »
I have a heady topper clone on tap right now, albeit made with yeast we cultured up from a few cans.

I'd venture to say a porter might even be better than IPA with that yeast...

I agree. It has a really nice mouthfeel that it leaves even though it attenuates pretty well. Just a great yeast all around!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2014, 04:14:25 pm »
Conan is allegedly a strain brought back from England by Greg Noonan, given to John Kimmich of Alchemist. So being a British strain it should work great in porter, stout, or bitter IMO.
Jon H.

Offline sambates

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 12:57:13 pm »
Well I'm brewing it up here in a few weeks and I'll report back. I also have some dregs that I made a starter with and will likely ferment 1 gallon of porter on that too. That way I can do a true side by side with the actual conan vs.the cloned conan (ECY29).
Tap: Brandy Barrel Sour, Brett IPA, Tart Cherry Berliner, Sour Coffee Porter, Witbier, Helles Bock, Helles Bock Braggot, Strawberry "Nebraskambic," Raspberry Flanders
Primary:Belgian Dark Strong, Scottish Wee Heavy, American Session Wild Ale, Brandy Barrel "Lincolnambic"

Offline Fermented-minds

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2014, 03:05:40 pm »
Well I'm brewing it up here in a few weeks and I'll report back. I also have some dregs that I made a starter with and will likely ferment 1 gallon of porter on that too. That way I can do a true side by side with the actual conan vs.the cloned conan (ECY29).

All of the strains on the market now (ECY, The Yeast Bay, etc.) are not "clones". If they were truly isolated from HT, the yeast is the exact same yeast, genetically speaking. Differences in attenuation, flavor profile, etc. that are reported more than likely have a lot to do with how the yeast is propagated, stored, the age of the yeast, the generation, etc. Genetically speaking, they are absolutely identical if HT was the source.

Offline sambates

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2014, 09:08:10 pm »

All of the strains on the market now (ECY, The Yeast Bay, etc.) are not "clones". If they were truly isolated from HT, the yeast is the exact same yeast, genetically speaking. Differences in attenuation, flavor profile, etc. that are reported more than likely have a lot to do with how the yeast is propagated, stored, the age of the yeast, the generation, etc. Genetically speaking, they are absolutely identical if HT was the source.

That makes sense. I have read about different attenuations, which like you mentioned is likely from how they do all their business. Well then, can't wait to brew it!

Offline sambates

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2014, 08:52:17 pm »
Used this is my robust porter and it added an interesting fruity/citrus character the porter. I can't wait to see how it continues to age, but it turned out well. Glad to have used it outside of a hoppy beer. Saving a washed slurry for a typical batch eventually.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2014, 12:07:35 am »
I just brewed a couple of IPAs with GigaYeast's Vermont IPA Yeast GY054.  They both turned out good.  I made a piney IPA and a fruity IPA - I think the yeast favors the fruity style.  It attenuated well, down to 1.007.  I did not like the medium / low flocculation as I am used to Wyeast 1968 for my IPAs.  I didn't find any great unique aspect to this yeast, so I'm going back to 1968.  It was a fun experiment though.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline sambates

• Cellarman
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2014, 06:28:47 am »
I just brewed a couple of IPAs with GigaYeast's Vermont IPA Yeast GY054.  They both turned out good.  I made a piney IPA and a fruity IPA - I think the yeast favors the fruity style.  It attenuated well, down to 1.007.  I did not like the medium / low flocculation as I am used to Wyeast 1968 for my IPAs.  I didn't find any great unique aspect to this yeast, so I'm going back to 1968.  It was a fun experiment though.

The flocculation was definitely a negative. I agree it's not anything special, I think the hype around Heady Topper and having the Conan strain available made it appealing to homebrewers since cloning HT would be easier than finding HT.

Offline Philomathica

• 1st Kit
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2015, 10:22:32 pm »

The definition of 'clone' is genetically identical.  So, how are the ECY strain, etc not clones.  If they are daughter-descendant cells, then they are clones.