Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Porch Pirates  (Read 2801 times)

Offline Hooper

• Brewer
Porch Pirates
« on: December 17, 2017, 12:11:58 pm »
It looks like some a$$hole stole a box off my porch yesterday. It was a delivery from MoreBeer with 20 lbs of assorted grains and 1 lb of Citra hops. Anyone have this happen...All the years in Houston and never lost a box...Denver 6 months and robbed already...Anyone have this happen? What'd you do?
“Stay with the beer. Beer is continuous blood. A continuous lover.”
—   Charles Bukowski

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Porch Pirates
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2017, 12:47:06 pm »
You can get a ring cam or have your boxes rerouted to a hold location. MoreBeer ships FedEx. Packages can be rerouted to a FedEx Office and many Walgreens locations. You can do this once the package is shipped and available for tracking.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2017, 12:47:52 pm »
That tells me that people don't give a crap about Citra in Houston, but once you moved to beer country you started running into problems.

I'd reach out to the shipping company first to confirm that they didn't just deliver to the wrong house. That's probably even more likely than theft, IME.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2017, 02:10:10 pm »
I have packages shipped to my work address. Not every employer is on board with that. Luckily mine is. I'm a laid back guy but the pirates give me thoughts of violence. Total horses**t.
Jon H.

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2017, 03:14:17 pm »
It was a delivery from MoreBeer with 20 lbs of assorted grains and 1 lb of Citra hops.

And it probably ended up in the trash when the thief found out what it was. Sad.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline Hooper

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2017, 03:55:06 pm »
Yeah...I doubt it was home brewer that stole it...Unless it was a Colorado brewer short of Citra hops...Today is Sunday...but I am working it with FedEx...Had to chuckle thinking of them lugging that heavy box as fast as they could only to find out it wasn't fudge...
“Stay with the beer. Beer is continuous blood. A continuous lover.”
—   Charles Bukowski

Offline Robert

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2017, 04:08:57 pm »
This seems exponentially worse this year.  I've seen news items where they're even using children to steal packages.  Hell in a handcart and whatnot.  One PD near here is putting out bait packages with a GPS tag in that nice smiley box.  Two arrests first day.   But I feel a little guilty for cheering on a couple of local women who are saving up all their cat poo and making their own "bait" packages. Only hope a thief does get that one, not the guy  waiting for his grain and hops.  Merry Christmas, Hooper.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline scrap iron

• Assistant Brewer
  • K.C.
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2017, 06:48:13 am »
I seen on the news recently a man invented a device that sets off a blank shotgun shell when a package is picked up. They had a video of it in use and it scared the sh!t out of the thieves,  I laughed my a** off. The man is going to start selling the devise.
Mike F.                                                                              “I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer.”

Abraham Lincoln

Offline Robert

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2017, 06:58:57 am »
I seen on the news recently a man invented a device that sets off a blank shotgun shell when a package is picked up. They had a video of it in use and it scared the sh!t out of the thieves,  I laughed my a** off. The man is going to start selling the devise.
Seriously, that's legal?  Quicker result than poo-package, though!
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline scrap iron

• Assistant Brewer
  • K.C.
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2017, 07:08:46 am »
They use blanks, just loud noise. The thieves are crooks so they won't be complaining! ;D
Mike F.                                                                              “I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer.”

Abraham Lincoln

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2017, 09:56:17 am »
I wouldn't blame Denver on the porch pirate problem. We have a lot of that going on here (Dallas/Fort Worth) as I imagine a lot of areas do this time of year.

Fortunately I've only had it happen once but it was an unsavory neighbor. Stealing an amazon box was unfortunately the least awful thing he did.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2017, 11:33:55 am »
Seriously, that's legal?

Generally, you can't set deadly traps on your property. 

Rigging a package to set off a blank shotgun shell exposes you to potential criminal and civil liability.  It's a terrible idea.

What if the person who picks up the package is a neighbor who is trying to be helpful, a postal worker who moves it to stack more packages that have arrived, a neighbor's young child who doesn't know any better? 

What if the loud noise causes a heart attack or ejects hot gas or plastic shrapnel that injures someone?
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline scrap iron

• Assistant Brewer
  • K.C.
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2017, 08:44:13 am »
Seriously, that's legal?

Generally, you can't set deadly traps on your property. 

Rigging a package to set off a blank shotgun shell exposes you to potential criminal and civil liability.  It's a terrible idea.

What if the person who picks up the package is a neighbor who is trying to be helpful, a postal worker who moves it to stack more packages that have arrived, a neighbor's young child who doesn't know any better? 

What if the loud noise causes a heart attack or ejects hot gas or plastic shrapnel that injures someone?

Yeah, I don't  plan on buying one. Although I don't think that would be a deadly trap, but it could open one up to a lawsuit. I just enjoyed the video of the thieves falling over and running into fences. Where I come from thieves are one notch below violent crimes and deserve what they get.The only excuse is stealing food  for survival.

Abraham Lincoln

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2017, 09:32:05 am »
.The only excuse is stealing food  for survival.

There are so many groups, religious and secular, that will feed the down and out that theft shouldn't really be an option.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2017, 12:01:59 pm »

I just read a post about this with a quote from a local cop," It's illegal".
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women