Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bell's files lawsuit against Innovation - AKA suck it Bell's  (Read 14539 times)

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
Re: Bell's files lawsuit against Innovation - AKA suck it Bell's
« Reply #90 on: March 20, 2015, 06:17:57 am »
The latest rumor was Pharrell was to be sued for Happy.
http://radio.com/2015/03/19/marvin-gaye-children-pharrell-open-letter-blurred-lines/

I could hear the Marvin Gaye similarities in Blurred Lines.

Somehow I see this one becoming an issue at some point in the future if anyone takes the time to listen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJBzDY93aDw
Sounds like to me it takes from Natasha Bedingfield as well as Youngblood Brass Band (@2:31) with a bit of Fugees thrown in for good measure.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #91 on: March 20, 2015, 06:24:54 am »
Good article on the original topic

It's time for craft brewers to stop acting like children.

By trying this matter in the court of public opinion instead of, you know, the federal trademark office, both breweries succeeded only in airing some procedural dirty laundry that in no way helps beer drinkers or buyers. By opening those screeds with pap like “To Our Wonderful Craft Beer Community” and “To Bell’s customers and the passionate craft beer community,” each tried to play to what they clearly believe is craft beer fans’ inflated sense of justice and moral clarity. Never mind that the customers of each brewery are members of that same community, or that this whole thing could have been resolved behind closed doors if Bell’s just kept its mouth shut and Innovation had the good sense to, you know, bring a lawyer to the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office to defend its trademark application.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #92 on: March 20, 2015, 07:02:14 pm »
Here is one that has a Brewery have a challenge from a rapid transit system. Boycott those bullies!
http://sf.eater.com/2015/3/19/8260113/bart-fiftyfifty-brewing-lawsuit-beer-barrel-aged
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #93 on: March 21, 2015, 07:04:30 am »
BART actually thinks that a beer named B.A.R.T. may hurt their brand? I guess they forgot Fruitvale Station already kinda put a black cloud over it.

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
Bell's files lawsuit against Innovation - AKA suck it Bell's
« Reply #94 on: March 21, 2015, 07:11:27 pm »
Trademark is per business type. This is why we can have Delta Airlines, Delta faucet, delta Dental...

Transport and beer are not in the same category/business type.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #95 on: March 21, 2015, 08:58:21 pm »
Trademark is per business type. This is why we can have Delta Airlines, Delta faucet, delta Dental...

yep

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #97 on: March 23, 2015, 05:14:41 pm »
When good guys quarrel.
http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2015/03/black_white_flame_3_floyds.html

Now THAT is how this crap should be settled.  I love 3Floyds anyway, now even more.
Jon H.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #98 on: April 06, 2016, 10:16:49 am »
My guess is most people forgot about this long ago.

In case you are wondering where this is now, earlier this year it was moving forward with a timeline to be concluded by July of this year. Then in early February Bell's lawyers dropped 1,313 pages of documents in the lap of the Innovation Brewing lawyer 322 days after the CLOSE of discovery. Either the Bell's lawyer is inept or it was a dick move to cost Innovation additional time and money.

http://ttabvue.uspto.gov/ttabvue/v?pno=91215896&pty=OPP&eno=31

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #99 on: April 06, 2016, 11:00:59 am »
Mike, cant read the whole thing here at work, but I will assume it is nasty legal tactics at work. Thanks for posting
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
« Reply #100 on: April 06, 2016, 12:10:34 pm »
I don't like it either, but let's not gloss over the fact that US patent and trademark law is setting up a difficult structure for these guys.

In spite of that, when marketing and lawsuits start taking up significant portions of your time and money that has to come at the expense of other things. I don't think this will do anything to improve the quality of their beer or the morale of the people that choose to get up and come to work there every day. No winners here....

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #101 on: April 10, 2016, 10:28:56 am »
I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY!
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #102 on: April 10, 2016, 10:33:57 am »

Wouldn't Bart be smart to advertise "After going B.A.R.T. go BART?" Win-Win.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 10:36:34 am by Steve Ruch »
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #103 on: April 10, 2016, 10:40:38 am »
I don't know that it pertains, but recently there was a music law suit in the news where it was alleged that the new song infringed by having the same vibe as a Marvin Gaye song. Not same lyrics, not same melody, not same title... it just felt the same. It was upheld, so could this apply at some level in beer? Could a label or other marketing be liable for having the same vibe? Hmmm, fat tire vs chain breaker? Don't they both have a bicycle feel?

Some years ago the record label that owned the rights to the Credence Clearwater Revival catalogue sued Tom Fogarty for plagiarizing himself on a new release.
The judge ruled that Tom Fogarty had a unique sound and he wasn't plagiarizing himself.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

RPIScotty

« Reply #104 on: April 10, 2016, 11:00:21 am »
I don't know that it pertains, but recently there was a music law suit in the news where it was alleged that the new song infringed by having the same vibe as a Marvin Gaye song. Not same lyrics, not same melody, not same title... it just felt the same. It was upheld, so could this apply at some level in beer? Could a label or other marketing be liable for having the same vibe? Hmmm, fat tire vs chain breaker? Don't they both have a bicycle feel?

Some years ago the record label that owned the rights to the Credence Clearwater Revival catalogue sued Tom Fogarty for plagiarizing himself on a new release.
The judge ruled that Tom Fogarty had a unique sound and he wasn't plagiarizing himself.

John Fogarty.