Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How long for a Shaken-not-Stirred lager starter?  (Read 5159 times)

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
Re: How long for a Shaken-not-Stirred lager starter?
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2015, 10:17:00 am »
I am interested to hear your results. I think one of the big reasons that so many brewers are hesitant to pitch the full volume of a rather large starter is because for a fully-attenuated/finished/flocculated stirplate starter there is a large risk for oxidation in the starter beer. I have to believe that the risk for oxidation is minimal for a shaken-not-stirred starter pitched at high krausen, because the yeast are still working and there is not a continuous introduction of O2.

You said that the starter beer tasted good, so right there that tells me that you are in good shape. Keep us posted!
I pitched the starters to the main worts at 8:00 last night.  Checked about 8:00 this morning and both have big krausen going (the schwarz is threatening to crawl out of the airlock).  Fridge is at 49*, the therm strips on the carboys say 52-54*.
I am ecstatic!  In my first attempt at lagers, two days before Christmas, I used not near enough old, poor dry lager yeast.  Lag time was 5 days and it took 5-1/2 weeks to ferment.  I'm just getting to drink some this week.  This forum has been a huge help.

I should add that, last night, the starters appeared to be past high krausen but still working actively.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 10:21:25 am by Philbrew »
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.

Offline TMX

• Assistant Brewer
  • Evolution of the next Revolution
    • TxBrewing
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2015, 12:28:01 pm »
I have used this method, after a few long discussion with Mark, and have been totally won over.

I am not sure I will go back.  The ease, cost, and results are noting short of amazing!
"The ART of brewing Beer, is the ACT of brewing Beer"
https://txbrewing.wordpress.com

Ferm 1: Irish Red Ale
Ferm 2:

On Deck: American Wheat

Keg 1: Un-Common
Keg 2: Switchback Stout

Total Gallons brewed (2015) - 10

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2015, 09:10:39 am »
I am interested to hear your results. I think one of the big reasons that so many brewers are hesitant to pitch the full volume of a rather large starter is because for a fully-attenuated/finished/flocculated stirplate starter there is a large risk for oxidation in the starter beer. I have to believe that the risk for oxidation is minimal for a shaken-not-stirred starter pitched at high krausen, because the yeast are still working and there is not a continuous introduction of O2.

In my humble opinion, the foulness found in a stirred starter is more the result of shear stress on the yeast cells than continuous introduction of O2.  That ugliness without an increase in performance is the reason why I quit using my stir plate and went back to my old starter method.

I developed my starter method during a period of time when my understanding of yeast was nowhere near what it is today.  Much like the discovery of penicillin, this method came about via serendipity.   I started out making one quart starters in a 48oz glass Ocean Spray juice container.  I went to make a starter and noticed that the container had sustained a sizable chip between uses.  I had a 1-gallon jug that I used for making mead, so it used it.  While no one would believe it today, I was seriously into strength training in my twenties and early thirties.  Shaking the dickens out of a starter was just the result of being very strong.   I noticed a huge increase in performance, so I stuck with the method long enough to understand why it worked.

I only offered the method to the forum because so many new brewers are led to believe that they cannot make healthy pitchable starters without making a sizable investment in an Erlenmeyer flask, a stir plate, and a stir bar.   I knew that that claim was not true because I propagated yeast cultures from slant for a very long time before I started to use a stir plate.  In reality, all that matters is adequate O2 and carbon coupled with good yeast transfer technique.  As I mentioned earlier, most brewing strains exhibit NewFlo flocculation; therefore, they do not need help remaining in suspension.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 08:39:09 pm by S. cerevisiae »

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2015, 10:28:51 am »
Duly reporting progress as requested:  36 hours after pitching starters to main worts.

HOLY COW!  I should have rigged blow off tubes.  For lagers at 49* F ?  Whoda thunk it.
Now I've got a mess to clean up in the fridge.

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2015, 10:48:18 am »

I only offered the method to the forum because so many new brewers are led to believe that they cannot make healthy pitchable starters without making a sizable investment in an Erlenmeyer flask, a stir plate, and a stir bar.   
Exactly my bit*h!  And since my brew fridge can accommodate two 6.5 gal. carboys, I like to brew two batches on the same day.  That means that I would need two heavy duty stir plates and two 5 L flasks w/stir bars.  A $400 cost that I could better use on other stuff.
Plus, that would mean eating the cost of 5-8 L of spent starter wort/beer that I would have to rack off and throw out.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 11:05:23 am by Philbrew »

Offline HobsonDrake

• Assistant Brewer
  • Beaverton, OR
    • Brew Batch List
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2015, 01:55:04 pm »
twenties and early thirties.  Shaking the dickens out of a starter was just the result of being very strong.   I noticed a huge increase in performance, so I stuck with the method long enough to understand why it worked.

Just to understand your process, is this shaking with or without the yeast in the wort starter?
Check out my brew history and recipes at http://www.hobsondrake.com/BrewList.html

John D.

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2015, 02:41:06 pm »
twenties and early thirties.  Shaking the dickens out of a starter was just the result of being very strong.   I noticed a huge increase in performance, so I stuck with the method long enough to understand why it worked.

Just to understand your process, is this shaking with or without the yeast in the wort starter?
Yaknow, I never posed that question to S. cerevisiae.  I just assumed you put it all together and shook it.  So that's what I did.  Worked great for me.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2015, 04:41:28 pm »

Shaking occurs after pitching.

Offline TMX

• Assistant Brewer
  • Evolution of the next Revolution
    • TxBrewing
"The ART of brewing Beer, is the ACT of brewing Beer"
https://txbrewing.wordpress.com

Ferm 1: Irish Red Ale
Ferm 2:

On Deck: American Wheat

Keg 1: Un-Common
Keg 2: Switchback Stout

Total Gallons brewed (2015) - 10

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2015, 10:15:07 am »
I don't know that I would pitch 3 liters of starter wort into a 6 gallon batch of beer.
I don't want to sound snarky but that's what the silly yeast calculators call for.  In fact they want 4 L !

What I was getting at is that I would decant and just pitch the yeast to avoid diluting the beer with too much bland tasting starter wort, not that your starter was too large.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC