Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: keep a starter  (Read 979 times)

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
keep a starter
« on: March 11, 2015, 07:28:03 am »
As my pack of Denny's Favorite was leaking and swelling I decided to open it and make a starter. I made it from the normal 100 grams/1 liter DME. Now my question is: how long can I keep the starter in the fridge, in a mason jar? Would it be the same as when I recuperate yeast from a real batch?

PS the starter is tasty!  ;)
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: keep a starter
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2015, 09:34:58 am »
Since I brew smaller batches, I often have some starter left over if I make one. Just as you mentioned, I treat it the same as yeast harvested from any other beer - stored in a mason jar in the fridge. I re-prop it if it's sitting around longer than a week or so.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: keep a starter
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2015, 02:29:46 pm »
I frequently make an extra 500 mL of starter when propping up a batch of yeast for a brew day.  Prior to the starter being cold crashed, I will pour off that extra 500 mL with suspended yeast into a sanitized mason jar and have stored that cold (33-35F) for up to 6 wks with no issues.  Of course a starter has to be made from the saved yeast.  I would bet with proper sanitation that this yeast could even be stored past the 2 mos mark with no ill effects.