Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: hop schedule help  (Read 2321 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
hop schedule help
« on: March 11, 2015, 08:56:55 am »
I have 2 oz of Jarrylo and Zythos that I want to play around with for an APA. I am working on an APA template that I won't go into that will feature two hops and will have the same grain bill. I realize that Zythos is a blend. Any advice on how I should edit my schedule to best utilize these 4 oz of hops? I assume the #1 recommendation will be to use more hops...

~18 IBU Magnum 60 min
~10 IBU Columbus FWH
~15 IBU Jarrylo 30 min (10 g)
21 g Zythos hop stand 30 min @ 160
17 g Jarrylo hop stand 30 min @ 160
35 g Zythos dry hop
29 g Jarrylo dry hop

~53 IBUs

EDIT: If I am not able to use the sufficient amount of hops for this style, should I dial back the IBUs and change the style to something like a hoppy blonde or wheat?

« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 09:02:42 am by goschman »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: hop schedule help
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 09:09:15 am »
Looks good to me.  I would probably move the 30 minute to the hop stand and replace those 15 IBU with 15 IBUs more of Magnum. That would let you utilize the most of the flavor from the Jarrylo.  And judging by the steep I did Sunday at 160F, I think you'll really like the results - the flavor and aroma from the sample was very nice. It'll be a nice beer.
Jon H.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 09:17:16 am »
Thanks. I like your idea and will probably go that route. This goes with the whole how you perceive IBUs argument I suppose. I am always afraid to get too many IBUs from my bittering addition but that's probably the way to go.

Here is the rest...
73% schill pilsner
20% schill Vienna or light munich?
7% caramunich I

WLP029
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 09:21:28 am by goschman »

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 09:21:03 am »
Honestly though, 53 might be a little high for APA, especially if you're wanting to keep the bittering addition in check.  I normally shoot for ~ 45 in APA.
Jon H.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 09:25:04 am »
Honestly though, 53 might be a little high for APA, especially if you're wanting to keep the bittering addition in check.  I normally shoot for ~ 45 in APA.

Also, Vienna or Munich are great in APA.  I generally use one or the other, or sometimes MO.
Jon H.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 09:25:18 am »

Right. I am going for something between and APA and an IPA. It's kind of hard to explain my idea. I know that is not even close to enough hops to attempt an IPA. Beersmith is calculating about 10 IBUs from the hop stand so its 43 before that. When I use lower alpha hops in the future attempts the IBUs will be lower and I plan to shoot for 45-55 IBUs with an OG of 1.055 = 5.9% ABV. Attempt #2 will be completely different and likely less IBUs... I will keep tinkering.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 09:27:07 am by goschman »

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2015, 09:26:11 am »
Gotcha. Sounds good anyway.
Jon H.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2015, 09:28:26 am »
I was going to do sterling and crystal for attempt #1 but thought that would be too mild. I think I will use sterling in attempt #2 paired with something TBD

Offline BrodyR

• Brewmaster
  • Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2015, 09:59:10 am »
Looks good to me.  I would probably move the 30 minute to the hop stand and replace those 15 IBU with 15 IBUs more of Magnum. That would let you utilize the most of the flavor from the Jarrylo.  And judging by the steep I did Sunday at 160F, I think you'll really like the results - the flavor and aroma from the sample was very nice. It'll be a nice beer.

This is my current approach as well - get all my pale ale IBU's from FWH and load up a hop stand (I do 170f) and double dry hop (once in primary, once in keg).

45ibu's may be a bit high for me in a pale but of course that depends on your tastes. I shoot for the low end with my pales and target 30ibu's. Hell I even did one at 25 and it turned out solid. 

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2015, 10:05:15 am »
Ok I do like the idea of simplifying the hop schedule and I will probably drop the IBUs a bit. Going for something like 5.8 - 6% ABV so I want moderately high IBUs to match the higher than avg ABV. Probably shoot for something closer to 45 like Hoosier suggests.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2015, 10:15:19 am »
This would work out to about 46 IBUs with about 10 calculated from the hop stand (according to beersmith). I use lower utilization to account for my lower hop stand temperature.

~18 IBU Magnum 60 min
~18 IBU Simcoe FWH

1 oz Jarrylo (16.1% AA) hop stand 30 min
1 oz Zythos (9.8% AA) hop stand 30 min

1 oz Jarrylo dry hop
1 oz Zythos dry hop

« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 10:16:59 am by goschman »

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2015, 10:21:13 am »
This would work out to about 46 IBUs with about 10 calculated from the hop stand (according to beersmith). I use lower utilization to account for my lower hop stand temperature.

~18 IBU Magnum 60 min
~18 IBU Simcoe FWH

1 oz Jarrylo (16.1% AA) hop stand 30 min
1 oz Zythos (9.8% AA) hop stand 30 min

1 oz Jarrylo dry hop
1 oz Zythos dry hop

There you go !
Jon H.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2015, 07:01:57 pm »
I agree with moving the 30 minute addition out to 0. I'm very intrigued by Jarrylo. I've done an all Zyghis IPA with a whole pound. It didn't do much for me, but it was by itself.

When first looking at the schedule, I was nervous about the columbus. Normally I'm the guy that puts the absolute stamp of approval on columbus in APAs and IPAs, but if you really want to taste these hops as is, it can be invasive of their flavors. Then you switched it to simcoe. Simcoe is strong, but I find it better to blend with others. Columbus, to me, adds another addition to as opposed to blending with other Hops. I think these beer with be good.

As far as IBUs go, I just had Deschuttes Red Chair NW APA. It's 60 IBUs of cascade and centennial.... Freakin amazing beer.
Frank

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2015, 07:10:51 am »
Thanks for the input. I love Red Chair!

I was going to just use Magnum for bittering but I thought I would make it a bit more interesting with the simcoe there. When you talk about Columbus being invasive, I have had that exact same experience with Bravo. I don't use Columbus outside of IPAs so I am not all too aware of how well it plays with other hops...

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2015, 08:02:13 am »
Thanks for the input. I love Red Chair!

I was going to just use Magnum for bittering but I thought I would make it a bit more interesting with the simcoe there. When you talk about Columbus being invasive, I have had that exact same experience with Bravo. I don't use Columbus outside of IPAs so I am not all too aware of how well it plays with other hops...

Don't get me wrong, I love Columbus in IPAs. I've used them to bitter most of my APAs in the past, but I've determined that it over powers the flavor hops a bit in an APA. I'm not sure if invasive is the best term, that sounds bad. Maybe this is better... Columbus, to me, adds another layer or dimension to the hop flavor, where other hops blend much better to create one layer or dimension. It's easier for me to pick Columbus out than other hops.
Frank