Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brew Weekend  (Read 3900 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Brew Weekend
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2015, 01:45:42 pm »
Yep. It'll be a good sitcheation.   ;)
Jon H.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2015, 10:40:44 am »
Looking forward to opening my big fresh bag of Cluster from hops direct

I made an all-Cluster IPA using 2014 Hops Direct Cluster and an anonymized English yeast strain that I dug out of the UC Davis collection that is outstanding.  It is easily one of the top beers to come out of my home brewery.  I had never performed a hop stand with Cluster before making this beer.  The hop aroma and flavor are huge, especially for hop like Cluster that has been relegated to second class status as a finishing hop.

With that said, BRY 97 is a hop scrubber; therefore, I would reserve my best hops for dry hopping.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2015, 09:16:04 am »
I'm going way off the reservation this weekend. Using yeast I haven't brewed with in a long time. And making beers that are really out there for me.
APA with Centennial and Cascade and 1056
IPA with Centennial and Cascade and 1056
Old school is the new New School
I decided my IPA might turn out too much like the APA so I revamped it a smidge.

IPA
8lbs GW pale
5lbs Munich
1lb cane sugar in boil

1 oz each at FWH - Cascade and Centennial
1 oz each in whirlpool at 190º for 30 min - Cascade, Centennial, Mosaic, Simcoe (will dry hop an ounce each too)

1056 pitch at HK 63º ramped to 68 when krausen falls

Sounds farther off the reservation to me
Day seven and the IPA has gone from 1.060 to 1.006! No off flavors. I'm now a huge fan of pitching the whole shebang at high krausen (when doing a beer like this anyway). Also huge fan of that hopping schedule. FWH and all the rest going in the whirlpool.

Got my dry hopping started. Will let er ride till Friday then crash and keg Saturday.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2015, 12:15:54 am »
I'm going way off the reservation this weekend. Using yeast I haven't brewed with in a long time. And making beers that are really out there for me.
I decided my IPA might turn out too much like the APA so I revamped it a smidge.

IPA
8lbs GW pale
5lbs Munich
1lb cane sugar in boil

1 oz each in whirlpool at 190º for 30 min - Cascade, Centennial, Mosaic, Simcoe (will dry hop an ounce each too)

So this IPA has been in the keg for a couple weeks, maybe three. It tastes and smells great but is stubborn to drop clear. It looks like grapefruit juice with a head. So I pulled the keg and put it in my lagering chest. I put a pouch of Knox gelatin in a cup of 120° water and stirred, let sit for 30 min, then zapped it in the micro to a boil. It looked clear and fully dissolved. I released pressure and dumped it into the IPA. Closed the keg and hit it with 30 psi to quick seal. I'll let it sit a week and try it again.

I tried gelatin once before but I think I did it wrong. This will be an interesting test of how well it works, and if I did it right.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2015, 05:40:15 am »

IPA
8lbs GW pale
5lbs Munich
1lb cane sugar in boil

So this IPA has been in the keg for a couple weeks, maybe three. It tastes and smells great but is stubborn to drop clear. It looks like grapefruit juice with a head. So I pulled the keg and put it in my lagering chest. I put a pouch of Knox gelatin in a cup of 120° water and stirred, let sit for 30 min, then zapped it in the micro to a boil. It looked clear and fully dissolved. I released pressure and dumped it into the IPA. Closed the keg and hit it with 30 psi to quick seal. I'll let it sit a week and try it again.

I tried gelatin once before but I think I did it wrong. This will be an interesting test of how well it works, and if I did it right.

Jim, that stuff usually has the beer pretty damn clear in about 48 hours, FWIW. 
Jon H.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2015, 06:51:37 am »
I always thought boiling was bad

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2015, 07:01:37 am »
Yeah, missed that part.  It shouldn't boil.  I warm it slowly until it hits ~ 155-165F.
Jon H.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2015, 09:12:11 am »
I might try to squeeze in a little brewing this weekend but I have a lot to do and probably won't get around to it.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2015, 10:06:00 am »
brewing up vienna mandarina IPA right now. hit 5.42PH mash at 150F....all is well.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2015, 01:43:15 pm »

IPA
8lbs GW pale
5lbs Munich
1lb cane sugar in boil

Jim, that stuff usually has the beer pretty damn clear in about 48 hours, FWIW.
I put it in micro and pushed the coffee cup symbol. It was steaming when it was done.
I always thought boiling was bad