Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How long to bottle condition before Chilling  (Read 28501 times)

Offline gcam333

• Cellarman
How long to bottle condition before Chilling
« on: May 16, 2010, 04:02:41 pm »
If your bottling builds up ahead of your consumption, how long can you safely let the brew bottle condition unchilled without harm? What is the safe temp range for conditioning as well.
Gcam

Offline Beertracker

• Brewer
  • ExperiFermenting since 1994!
    • Fellowship of Oklahoma Ale Makers (FOAM)
Re: How long to bottle condition before Chilling
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 11:34:30 am »
It really all depends upon the beer? Generally speaking, the stronger/hoppier/higher gravity beers fair better than lower alcohol beers to periods of warmer, longer aging. Cool cellar temps (45-55°F) would be ideal for most ales, but just keep the bottles as cool as possible to help preserve them until there's room in the beer fridge.  ;)   
CHEERS! Jeff
"A homebrewed beer is truly a superior beer." ~ "Buffalo" Bill Owens - American Brewer

Jeffrey Swearengin
Fellowship of Oklahoma Ale Makers (FOAM)
Tulsa, OK USA

Offline nyakavt

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 10:49:55 am »
I have been storing in a closet that fluctuates between 65 and 75F for the past three years or so, for lack of a cooler place or fridge space.  Any delicate hop character is gone or severely diminished within 2-3 weeks, I've noticed this on several APAs and IPAs.  Next is the oxidation, which starts take hold after 4-6 months.  Weirdly a schwarzbier that has been in there over a year still tastes fine to me, but my Maibock and traditional bock are both heavily oxidized.  After about 10 months the maibock became completely undrinkable due to autolysis, and the traditional bock is approaching that threshold at 6-8 months (all bottle conditioned).  I've also got a southern englsh brown in there that tasted fine last time I had it, about a year old, it seems that anything with some roast holds up better.

So I guess for peak freshness you've got about 3 months at these temperatures, and probably double that for less than peak but still enjoyable for your average beer.  Roast character seems to extend that time significantly, and I imagine high gravity stuff will keep better as well.  Hoppy beers, IMO, do not taste nearly as good after just a short amount of time stored warm, so keep these cold if possible.  They are still nearly as bitter after a month, but the wonderful hop aroma and flavor is a mere shadow of what it was fresh.  Finally, I suggest that you try to minimize the amount of yeast that gets into the bottle (cold crash first), this can wind up giving you some autolysis flavors way down the line, especially if the beer is particularly light or you've let in a lot of yeast.

Offline gcam333

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 05:33:19 am »
I am conditioning an IIPA at 72???. It has been bottled for 10 days. I put one in the fridge this morning to chill down for a sample tonite.  Are you saying I should not let the conditioning go any farther at this temp?

Offline dzlater

• Brewmaster
  • Dan S. New Jersey
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 05:12:27 am »
 The colder you keep it, the longer it will stay fresh.
Same as with any other type of food
Dan S. from NJ

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 06:15:23 am »
I am conditioning an IIPA at 72???. It has been bottled for 10 days. I put one in the fridge this morning to chill down for a sample tonite.  Are you saying I should not let the conditioning go any farther at this temp?

10 days might not be long enough to fully carb up.  In my experience it's definitely not but YMMV.  I keep the bottles in my basement which is usually around 65 so that naturally takes longer than at 72 but I don't feel like my beers are fully conditioned until after about three weeks.  Chill one of them down and then pop it open and see if you think its done.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 06:24:53 am by tygo »
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 10:59:20 am »
It depends on the beer and the conditions. A little QC goes a long way. I think you need to test a bottle before you chill them all. Check one after a week at 70-75F. If it's not ready wait another week and check another bottle and so on. Once the carbonation has reached it's ideal level then chill the bottles.
Ron Price

Offline gcam333

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2010, 06:15:04 am »
I Chilled one for a couple of days after 10 days conditioning. A little low on carbonation but good tatse.  I'll check again in a week. The downside I've got another cloudy beer. This is killing me. I don't know what I am doing wrong.