Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Difference Between Soda and Beer CO2 Regulators  (Read 9810 times)

Offline abraxas

• Assistant Brewer
Difference Between Soda and Beer CO2 Regulators
« on: April 26, 2010, 08:22:38 pm »
I am helping a friend set up a kegerator and have been looking for an inexpensive regulator.  Micromatics site states that their soda regulators are "Not for beer use!"  http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-beer/regulators-pid-841.html.  I am assuming that the regulator is less sensitive and harder to dial in to the lower pressures since the range is 10-110psi compared with 0-60 with a beer regulator.  Is there any other reason?

I have seen some sources for refurbished soda regulators for $30 or so and I also know of a local science surplus place with regulators and valves for quite a bit less.  Unless there is some reason why not I think I am going to go with one of these for my friends kegerator build.

Offline IHBHS

• Assistant Brewer
    • Ice Harbor Brewing Co.
Re: Difference Between Soda and Beer CO2 Regulators
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 04:25:42 pm »
You want the lower pressure of a beer regulator.  Normal serving psi (if not running through a chiller plate) is 5-8 psi.  The soda regualtor would be ok if you were using it strictly to force carbonate, but not to serve.
Ice Harbor Brewing Co.
www.iceharbor.com

Offline popester

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 07:00:43 pm »
I am helping a friend set up a kegerator and have been looking for an inexpensive regulator.  Micromatics site states that their soda regulators are "Not for beer use!"  http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-beer/regulators-pid-841.html.  I am assuming that the regulator is less sensitive and harder to dial in to the lower pressures since the range is 10-110psi compared with 0-60 with a beer regulator.  Is there any other reason?

I have seen some sources for refurbished soda regulators for $30 or so and I also know of a local science surplus place with regulators and valves for quite a bit less.  Unless there is some reason why not I think I am going to go with one of these for my friends kegerator build.

You want to get a beer regulator if you doing both soda and beer.  Just turn the pressure up high to force cab. ( about 50psi ) the turn down to pour.  The soda regulator would probly not be good in pouring beer, it the pressure starts at 10 psi.  That is way to high for me anyways.  Good luck, there are my companies that have good deals on regulator. try Kegworks

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 04:59:41 am »
10 psi at 32F is 2.7 volumes of CO2. 2.7 would be a bit high for some styles, but 32F would be a bit cold as well. I run my temp at ~45F and 10psi for ~2.1 volumes which is a nice amount for a myriad of styles.

Bottom line, change the low pressure gauge on the regulator to a 0-60  ;)
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 06:55:17 am »
Interesting replies, I usually have to turn my pressure down for serving too or I get a lot of foam.  I've tried using the formulas for calculating lengths of tubing and added length to my lines which are the 3/16th inch foam free tubing lines and still get foam... not to mention a mess of tubing inside my kegerator.  Its easier and less messy to turn down the pressure.  I'm going to add a second regulator, one for carbing and one for serving.   ;D