Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Lagering  (Read 2072 times)

Offline bierview

• Assistant Brewer
Lagering
« on: March 11, 2015, 01:47:43 pm »
I brewed two 5 gal batches of a lager using wyeast 2278. They were in primary for 14 days between 45 and 52 degrees. Batch #1 has been in secondary for 37 days between 34 and 44 degrees. Batch two has been in secondary for 9 days at the same 34-44 degrees. Today the weather is getting warmer here in the NE and today both batches are up to 52 degrees with the weather forecast for more warm air. Do I need to bottle these brews asap or have the previous cold temps already done their thing.

Thanks
BV

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
Re: Lagering
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 01:59:07 pm »
Raising the temps at the end of a lager fermentation can help clean up diacetyl.  I wouldn't let them get too warm or have them go up and down a lot though.

Temps are supposed to drop again tomorrow through the beginning of the weekend so I wouldn't bottle quite yet.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2015, 08:07:08 pm »

Raising the temps at the end of a lager fermentation can help clean up diacetyl.  I wouldn't let them get too warm or have them go up and down a lot though.

Temps are supposed to drop again tomorrow through the beginning of the weekend so I wouldn't bottle quite yet.

^This.  All you are doing is a diacetyl rest is good.  Just try to keep the temp steady, avoiding sudden temp swings
Brian
mobrewer

Offline bierview

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 02:14:41 pm »
Rigged a spare refrigerator.  Can't really control the temps and it's at 32 degrees.  Too cold?  Thinking of leaving it there for a couple months.

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2015, 03:08:13 pm »
Those temps are perfect for extended lagering after the yeast have cleaned up any off flavors (i.e. diacetyl, acetaldehyde).  I store all of my kegged beers not on tap around that temps so they stay fresher longer.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2015, 04:03:01 pm »
My lagers get a D-rest then are lagered at 30F, which is close to -1C=30.2F, the temp the German lager Brewers use.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 06:00:35 am by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2015, 06:01:10 pm »
I just took my last terminal gravity reading on a Dunkel. It was pitched at 48 with temp set at 50. I walked it up one degree per day to 68. It was at 1.014 at that point and stabilized at 1.012. Now it's set at 32°. In a week I'll bottle it.

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2015, 03:17:01 am »
I just took my last terminal gravity reading on a Dunkel. It was pitched at 48 with temp set at 50. I walked it up one degree per day to 68. It was at 1.014 at that point and stabilized at 1.012. Now it's set at 32°. In a week I'll bottle it.
You can't beat a good dunkel!

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2015, 03:01:54 pm »
You can't beat a good dunkel!
Yup, thats my hope anyway. This one is version number 3, which was with Best Malz instead of Great Western. Brewing number 4 next week, which will be the same except using a higher percentage of dark munich. I'm getting very close to what I want it to be.

Offline bierview

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2015, 04:10:30 pm »
I am dry hopping as I am lagering in secondary. Should I leave the hops in for the entire duration?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2015, 04:18:30 pm »
I am dry hopping as I am lagering in secondary. Should I leave the hops in for the entire duration?

Some people feel they get a vegetal character from leaving dry hops in the beer for too long. For lagers I usually add the dry hops (if I dry hop) for the last week of lagering. For ales I dry hop in the keg and leave the dry hops in there. You'll have to experiment to see what you like best. Good luck !
Jon H.