Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Decoction  (Read 4535 times)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Decoction
« on: March 11, 2015, 07:21:19 pm »
My next brew will be a Dunkel Weizen. I plan to use a Decoction Mash in the interest of tradition - my first.  I plan for Protein, Beta, Alpha rests, and Mash out. Any advice, or pitfall avoidance from the more initiated?

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Decoction
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 07:55:42 pm »
Skip the protein rest, it will only hurt your head and body.  Double meanings intended!
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 09:36:51 pm »
Interestingly enough on today's malts protein rests and decoction's are no longer very traditional. My understanding is not very many German breweries bother with decoction mashing any longer. It's too expensive and unecessary.

Offline wobdee

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2015, 07:01:09 am »
I think everyone should try a decoction at least once and find out for themselves if it makes a difference or not. Personally I think if its done properly it makes great beer. I brew all my Lagers with a single decoction called the Schmitz process, it cuts a lot of time off a traditional double or triple decoction but gives similar results.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2015, 07:03:46 am »
Interestingly enough on today's malts protein rests and decoction's are no longer very traditional. My understanding is not very many German breweries bother with decoction mashing any longer. It's too expensive and unecessary.

Step mashes are used as I understand. Energy is expensive in Germany.

There are some breweries that are still traditional.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2015, 09:15:25 am »
If you are using an undermodified pils in that beer you might want to perform a protein rest (at least a short one) but otherwise I agree that you can do without the protein rest.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2015, 09:43:03 am »
Decoction is great when you miss your target mash temperature (provided you are on the coll side).  Otherwise, I tend to avoid it.

Some people can read it in a book,

Some people can be taught,

Is decoction for those that need to pee on the electric fence for themselves?

(personally, it's not that big a deal, just do it, experience it, retire from it)
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na ZdravĂ­

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2015, 11:10:14 am »
Decoction is great when you miss your target mash temperature (provided you are on the coll side).  Otherwise, I tend to avoid it.

Some people can read it in a book,

Some people can be taught,

Is decoction for those that need to pee on the electric fence for themselves?

(personally, it's not that big a deal, just do it, experience it, retire from it)

If I'm low I just run some wort into my kettle, bring it to a near boil and add it back to MT. And I totally agree everyone should try it. It's really not that bad.

Offline leejoreilly

• Assistant Brewer
  • Washington, MI
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2015, 08:04:40 am »
I've been under the impression that decoction was a technique designed for mash temperature control in the days before the availability of accurate thermometers. Do you think it may add something to the beer beyond this? Or do you think it's just an interesting technique that's worth trying, but has been supplanted by Thermapens?

Offline Stevie

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2015, 08:52:38 am »
Slightly on topic... I was at a newer Dallas Brewery last night for a club meeting. The brewer mentioned that they purposely use under modified base malts and run through step mashes as they find it produces a superior end product. Maybe there is some truth to this akin to Coke with sugar v. Coke with corn syrup. Nothing drastic, just that certain jean es se qua.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2015, 09:47:49 am »
I've been under the impression that decoction was a technique designed for mash temperature control in the days before the availability of accurate thermometers. Do you think it may add something to the beer beyond this? Or do you think it's just an interesting technique that's worth trying, but has been supplanted by Thermapens?

My experience is that flavor wise it doesn't add anything to the beer.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2015, 11:15:20 am »

Since I have never done a side by side batch with decoction vs non decoction I can't really comment as to the flavor. But I will say that decoction definitely increases your efficiency. Is it worth the extra time and energy? Hell no.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2015, 12:36:09 pm »
That's my intent. Traditional step mash for nothing more than the experience. If a better beer results all the better.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2015, 12:45:14 pm »
Is it worth the extra time and energy? Hell no.

^^^   I remember the first time I tried it, I was excited that I'd just made this incredible BoPils, except that I couldn't find much difference.  Probably wouldn't do it again. Never say never though.
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2015, 12:56:16 pm »
Is it worth the extra time and energy? Hell no.

^^^   I remember the first time I tried it, I was excited that I'd just made this incredible BoPils, except that I couldn't find much difference.  Probably wouldn't do it again. Never say never though.

I still do it once or twice a year to see if I've changed my opinion.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell