Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Double Dry Hop Process?  (Read 1271 times)

Offline ultravista

• Brewer
Double Dry Hop Process?
« on: March 11, 2015, 07:40:43 pm »
Looking for feedback from those who double dry hop their DIPAs.

Following Vinnie Cilurzo's process of two doses of dry hops for Pliny the Elder or Younger's four doses, would it be best to use two or more mesh containers for each dose to keep the hop mass 'loose'?

For Elder, the 1st dose is 12 days and the 2nd 5 to 7 days, with a total of 4 ounces.

As I am dry hopping in the keg, the hops will be contained in a stainless mesh Dry Hopper (see link) to keep the wort clear.

Would it be best to simply add the 2nd dose on top of the wet mass of the 1st dose or add the second dose to a second container?

http://www.stainlessbrewing.com/Dry-Hopper-with-twist-cap-_p_155.html

Or in simpler terms, if using a hop bag, are you adding it all to one bag or employ a second bag for the second round?

Offline norcaljp

• Assistant Brewer
  • I prefer to drink my bread, thank you
    • The Brewins
Re: Double Dry Hop Process?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 08:21:21 pm »
I add my second dose right on top of my first. So my first addition would be for say 7 days, and my second for 4. I'll add my first addition, and then in 3 days add my second addition, after the 7th day I'll transfer to keg. Very interested in what others do, however. This is just the way I've done it, and don't have a better answer as to why I do it this way.
Joel Prater

I prefer to drink my bread, thank you

Offline BrodyR

• Brewmaster
  • Philadelphia, PA
Re: Double Dry Hop Process?
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2015, 08:42:56 am »
I add my first dose right in the primary when fermentation is about done (hoping theres still enough activity to scrub away any Oxygen).

I add my second dose in a conditioning keg using the dry hopper you mentioned and let them sit a few days at room temperature. I then cold crash and transfer to a serving keg. I've been thinking about trying a third dose in the container in the serving keg and let it steep in the cold.