Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Using potatoes?  (Read 1402 times)

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
Using potatoes?
« on: March 14, 2015, 04:20:35 pm »
Had an Irish potato stout that was very nice. I assume you would need to boil the potatoes first but beyond that I have no idea what to do with them. Anyone used potatoes before?  And yes, rice hulls will definitely be needed.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Using potatoes?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2015, 05:50:26 pm »
Should just have to boil and mash 'em and add them to the mash. You should be able to go 50% potatoes.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2015, 06:24:43 pm »
Trying to picture what potatoes would bring to the party, after all that starch converts. Body?  Just sugar?
Jon H.

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2015, 07:58:08 pm »
Maybe nothing but sugar. This beer was probably one of the smoothest stouts I have ever had. More to the point my wife is not a stout fan and loved it so either the potato brought something to the beer or these guys have really got it dialed in.

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2015, 09:34:18 pm »
I assume you would need to boil the potatoes first but beyond that I have no idea what to do with them.
Well...a generous ladle of pork gravy, some salt and pepper and a good beer to wash it down.  ;)
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2015, 08:57:03 am »
I would think sweet potatoes would be better for a stout.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2015, 09:53:46 am »
Maybe try using instant mashed potatoes? I'd be willing to bet that they'd work at mash temps with no prior prep - similar to using flaked grains.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Online reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2015, 10:02:31 am »
The solid content of a potato is about 85% carbohydrate and 15% protein. I would expect the glucose created by degrading the starch content of the potato would thin the beer out more than the protein would add body. My guess is that the potato thinned out the beer some and took away some of the grain flavor that gave the impression of smoothness.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2015, 10:16:35 am »
Had an Irish potato stout that was very nice. I assume you would need to boil the potatoes first but beyond that I have no idea what to do with them. Anyone used potatoes before?  And yes, rice hulls will definitely be needed.

Nice to see ya around again, Graham!

Here's som einfo from BYO....http://byo.com/stories/issue/item/323-brewing-with-potatoes-techniques
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2015, 05:07:48 pm »

Nice to see ya around again, Graham!

Here's som einfo from BYO....http://byo.com/stories/issue/item/323-brewing-with-potatoes-techniques

Thanks Denny.  Glad to be back. I've been in a real brewing slump for a while now but I judged the Ontario Brewing Awards the other day and really want to get back at it.

Thanks as well to everyone for your thoughts.