Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: sanke keg conversion  (Read 2469 times)

Offline Chris S

• Cellarman
sanke keg conversion
« on: March 12, 2015, 07:21:01 am »
Anyone out there converted a sanke keg for the purposes of fermentation? Impressions vis-a-vis glass?

Thanks!

Chris

Offline Gary Glass

• Brewer
Re: sanke keg conversion
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2015, 08:04:16 am »
The first task is to ensure you have properly obtained that sanke keg.  Unless you actually purchased it from the brewery (paying a deposit on a keg is not the same as purchasing a keg) or from a keg manufacturer, the keg is probably stolen.  This is a very major issue for the brewing industry.  Actually the lead story on HomebrewersAssociation.org right now is on this very issue: http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/how-to-brew/kegreturn-com-the-importance-of-keg-repatriation/

Gary Glass
Longmont, Colorado

Offline Chris S

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2015, 08:50:26 am »
Oh, wow! The irony... Of course, I saw the banner article on the AHA website. I haven't made any investment yet, but rest assured that any transaction will be above board. I'm in San Diego, so there are a number of local breweries; I just don't know about their policies on reselling their tired/old kegs. Thanks for the reminder, though.

Once purchased -- back to the original question: how does the keg fermenter compare???

Thanks,
Chris

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2015, 08:58:12 am »
I have a few friends that love their 1/2 barrel fermenters. Brewers hardware makes a clamp on kit just for this purpose. The only issue is cleaning can be difficult.

http://www.brewershardware.com/American-Sanke-Keg-Fermentor-Kit-with-Thermowell.html

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2015, 11:22:16 am »
I have one of those brewers hardware kits. It's more trouble than its worth in my opinion.  It's good if you insist on using co2 to transfer.  But if you are ok with just racking it with a ranking cane... a silicone bung is all you need. 
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2015, 02:16:34 pm »
I own hundreds of stainless kegs and I hated using them as fermentors so I switched to the Spiedels. Much easier to clean. And you KNOW they are clean. There are some drawback, can't rack with pressure for instance. But far and away better than using a keg for a fermentor.

Offline gsandel

• Brewer
  • www.onbeer.blogspot.com
    • On Beer
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2015, 09:08:36 pm »
I also have said Brewer's Hardware Kits....it would be fine if the keg wasn't so hard to clean and make sure it is clean.  I still use the thermowell to monitor ferm temp, but not as intended.

I think the money (keg plus kit) would be better spent saving for a proper fermenter...there are many options out there.

You wouldn't believe the things I've seen...

Offline Chris S

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2015, 06:31:27 am »
Thanks for the swift responses, everyone. You know how this hobby/habit is: I've fermented in my "regular" carboys, glass big mouth bubblers, Speidel... Always thinking about the next development at the home brewery.

Chris

Offline waltsmalt

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2015, 05:17:49 pm »
I have a sanke in which I had a local welder cut the top of a corny and weld it in place.  I love it as a fermenter as it was quite a bit cheaper than a conical, but I admit doesn't have the same benefits as a conical.  I also got the corny free from a guy I play hockey with as they were throwing it out at his place of employment.

Transfers are great.  I tried using it with just the spear removed but that was too much work as another post said.