Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How is the hotel for NHC San Diego?  (Read 3011 times)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: How is the hotel for NHC San Diego?
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2015, 05:26:12 pm »
Thanks for the input Gary.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2015, 08:47:03 pm »
I'm a hilton frequent 'flyer' so we're staying at the Doubletree and bussing it probably.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2015, 08:38:02 am »
I guess that I can leave the DDT home.  ;D

Offline Dave King

• Cellarman
    • BIER Website
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2015, 02:44:13 pm »
I attended the 2011 NHC, and my room was, as Gary says, "Dated," but it was clean, and I expect the towers to be better.  I'm confident we'll be OK.

Dave King, President of BIER

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2015, 12:23:26 pm »
I guess that I can leave the DDT home.  ;D
No, by all means. Check onto your plane with DDT in your carry-on. Really ... go ahead.  ::)
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline wyobrew

• 1st Kit
  • Gillette, Wy
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2015, 07:59:09 pm »
Any idea when the other contract hotels with shuttles will be announced. May want to opt for one of those if the price is the same.

Offline guido

• Brewer
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2015, 03:22:30 am »
Maybe one of the conference folks can chime in on this one, but it looks like there's a shuttle service from the airport to the Town and Country for only $11--a much better deal than the $40 cab ride in Grand Rapids.
Well...I woke up this morning and I got myself a beer

-"Roadhouse Blues,"  Jim Morrison

Offline Gary Glass

• Brewer
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2015, 04:06:13 pm »
Any idea when the other contract hotels with shuttles will be announced. May want to opt for one of those if the price is the same.
Overflow hotel information will be posted once the conference block at the Town & Country is filled.  It is definitely filling up though.
Gary Glass
Longmont, Colorado

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2015, 06:45:00 pm »
Maybe one of the conference folks can chime in on this one, but it looks like there's a shuttle service from the airport to the Town and Country for only $11--a much better deal than the $40 cab ride in Grand Rapids.
That sounds believable.  I cab shared in Grand Rapids since I was staying at the Amway.  The two guys right next to me in line were also.  We split the cab three ways, so it was about $14-15 each with tip.

That being said, San Diego is very Uber saturated so that's a great option.  The Beer Bloggers Conference was there last year, and we used the heck out of Uber.  If you're interested and don't have an account, send me a message and I'll send you a sign up link which will give us both a $20 credit towards your first ride.  We had several of us in San Diego and wound up only coming out of pocket on a few rides since only a couple of us had existing accounts.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2015, 06:47:25 pm »
Public transportation in Michigan is a foreign concept. Had to say it. 8)
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2015, 06:55:46 pm »

The only thing that I seriously did not like about Grand Rapids was the lack of affordable transportation to and from the airport.  I really liked the old hotel.  It had an "Al Capone spent time here" vibe to it. 

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2015, 07:03:18 pm »

It's not a foreign concept in Maryland or Washington, DC.   The light rail in Maryland runs between the BWI Airport and downtown Baltimore. Washington, DC has an excellent public transportation system.   

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2015, 07:33:45 pm »

It's not a foreign concept in Maryland or Washington, DC.   The light rail in Maryland runs between the BWI Airport and downtown Baltimore. Washington, DC has an excellent public transportation system.   

As someone who has traveled around the US, and has used the transit systems in SF, Portland, Seattle, Chicago, Philly, NYC, and DC, I was comparing the almost complete lack of transportation options other than a car in Metro Detroit to those areas. The mind set in Michigan is that transportation is a car and highways.

I have also used public transportation in Toronto, London, Paris, Brussels, Amsterdam, Frankfurt, Berlin, Munich, Prague, and Rome, but all those are foreign!
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild