Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: handling kegs not under pressure  (Read 4099 times)

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Re: handling kegs not under pressure
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2015, 06:38:37 am »
Gas pressure will be even regardless of line length or normal line diameters. You shouldn't see any difference in carbonation. Liquid would be a different story.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline ScottBeh

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2015, 08:55:52 am »
That was a pretty dumb question by me on the gas pressure drop.  Of course it wont.  I'll think, then post next time. 

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2015, 11:55:32 am »
Some random thoughts:

With a bunch of "t"s you get all the same pressure over all the kegs, regardless of style.

Unless you put check valves throughout the system, a leak in one keg could run you flat over the whole system. 

When you add a new keg, you'll have to hope (& you'll probably be fine but...) that the new keg doesn't pull gas (or worse liquid) out of your other kegs.

If you naturally carbonate, & you have a keg that doesn't seat well, you might want to give it a small charge to get the seal, until the yeast build up the pressure enough to keep the seal.

Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na ZdravĂ­

Offline jtoots

• Brewer
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2015, 11:59:14 am »
If I'm filling a keg for later, I'll push it to 35-40 psi then disconnect.  Some of the co2 will dissolve, but there will be enough head pressure after equilibrium to hold the seal.
+1, checking every few weeks by tapping the relief valve to make sure it's still under pressure.

Offline Werks21

• Assistant Brewer
  • Enterprising brewer and aspiring beer judge
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2015, 08:04:32 pm »
Some thoughts on beverage gasses..
Co2 is heavier than O2 so a keg that has lost pressure Co2 will retain its Co2 and blanket the beer unless it is disturbed. And when I say heavier, I mean you can pour Co2 out of a jug and into another. I saw a youtube video a while back where someone extinguished a candle that way. Pretty interesting and reassuring. As far as  Nitrogen goes,  Nitrogen is lighter than Co2 and can be used as a gas to displace O2 just like Co2, so why bother with it if Co2 is already on hand/available.
Jonathan W.
Snohomish WA

Offline ScottBeh

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2015, 06:15:16 am »
My problem was not with a gas leak, but I did get larger orings just in case.  The light co2 charge I put in my headspace to seat the lid went into solution, unseating the lids.  Nitrogen would not cause this problem cause it doesn't get absorbed into solution like co2. Gonna try the N on 1 new keg and see if it solves the problem.  If not will bite the bullet and do it right.

It was an expensive lesson, 3 pils, 1 saison, 2 apa.  Cant bring myself to pour them out, but cant force myself to drink them either.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2015, 06:27:11 am »
It was an expensive lesson, 3 pils, 1 saison, 2 apa.  Cant bring myself to pour them out, but cant force myself to drink them either.

That sucks.  We've all been there.  I say dump them and start fresh, especially if they're oxidized from losing the lid seal. That definitely won't get better. 
Jon H.

Offline Werks21

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2015, 01:26:47 pm »
My problem was not with a gas leak, but I did get larger orings just in case.  The light co2 charge I put in my headspace to seat the lid went into solution, unseating the lids.  Nitrogen would not cause this problem cause it doesn't get absorbed into solution like co2. Gonna try the N on 1 new keg and see if it solves the problem.  If not will bite the bullet and do it right.

Oops, I failed to consider that The nitro would hold its head pressure. That being said I guess it is a solid choice for set it and forget it kegging/storage.
Sorry for your losses...
Jonathan W.
Snohomish WA

Offline ScottBeh

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2015, 01:49:24 pm »
Thanks for the condolences.

Thinking I can save them for those end of night beers once the palate is wrecked anyway.  Probly not.

Bamforth talks about eliminating oxidation with a sulfur dioxide treatment.  Whats a little potassium metabisulfite between friends?  Have to give it another listen to see if he says its preventative or curative.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2015, 02:40:51 pm »
I don't think you can de-oxidize.  IME, it causes darkening and other bad stuff to light beers.  It can do some OK and even good stuff to strong dark beers meant to be aged, but even then you can't remove the effects once they are there.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline ScottBeh

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2015, 04:52:09 pm »
Joe, did you try the kmeta or was it something else?

I listened to the podcast again on the way home.  He wasn't specific but he had just been talking about extending shelf life when he brought up the kmeta at 10 ppm max.  He did say a fresh pitch of yeast would scavenge the o2.  I got some dry 04 & 05 might be worth a try on one of the APA.   Thinking you'd have to keep it in suspension to work. Its not gonna suspend itself at 5% alcohol I don't guess. Hmmm more swirling. Maybe finally a reason for a starter for dry yeast. 

I knew I had read about a wine fining before that made the claim.  Its Caseine Soluble.  Not crazy about using milk solids. Anyone try this?  or anything else?

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2015, 05:58:35 pm »
Joe, did you try the kmeta or was it something else?

I listened to the podcast again on the way home.  He wasn't specific but he had just been talking about extending shelf life when he brought up the kmeta at 10 ppm max.  He did say a fresh pitch of yeast would scavenge the o2.  I got some dry 04 & 05 might be worth a try on one of the APA.   Thinking you'd have to keep it in suspension to work. Its not gonna suspend itself at 5% alcohol I don't guess. Hmmm more swirling. Maybe finally a reason for a starter for dry yeast. 

I knew I had read about a wine fining before that made the claim.  Its Caseine Soluble.  Not crazy about using milk solids. Anyone try this?  or anything else?

you can try it but I think the problem at this point is not free o2 but the side effects of o2. the yeast won't scavenge them.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2015, 09:07:55 pm »
you can try it but I think the problem at this point is not free o2 but the side effects of o2. the yeast won't scavenge them.

Exactly what Mort is saying.  I have not tried kmeta.  In the instances I've experienced oxidation, the beer is a dumper.

Scavenging free O2 with yeast or whatever will help with 02 in the headspace, but once that 02 has impacted the beer you have oxidized beer.

Here's my experience: https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=15898.msg200881#msg200881

This saison turned almost pink.  Nasty.  Weird and gross.  Not drinkable.  I think I failed to purge the headspace when I kegged and did the shake and bake method to carb it up.  I still haven't dumped the keg, though I do use the nasty beer as liquid for my smoker so it's not a total loss.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline ScottBeh

• Assistant Brewer
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 12:11:57 pm by kernelcrush »

Offline Werks21

• Assistant Brewer
Re: dumping kegs not under pressure
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2015, 12:35:30 pm »
Jonathan W.
Snohomish WA