Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Beer won't Come out of Keg :-(  (Read 22436 times)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Beer won't Come out of Keg :-(
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2015, 02:26:03 pm »
I got some of those floating dip tubes to draw from the top of the keg vs bottom. Works great.

Offline norcaljp

• Assistant Brewer
  • I prefer to drink my bread, thank you
    • The Brewins
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2015, 03:52:07 pm »
I got some of those floating dip tubes to draw from the top of the keg vs bottom. Works great.

I've been real tempted to buy one of those. I've sort of decided that I need to focus on getting better transferring procedures nailed down before I try one of those bad boys out.
Joel Prater

I prefer to drink my bread, thank you

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2015, 06:46:01 pm »
Joe, I can visualize the extra pressure disfiguring the little o-ring on the spring loaded poppet so that it seals the liquid out port right at the quick disconnect.
Anyway, it can't be any where else in the system other than the poppet, can it?

I wouldn't think so.  But since it pours fine if I blow off some pressure, I haven't tried to figure it out.

I can't recall if I've marked the keg or not...  Should have.  Just kegged a saison in what might be that keg.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2016, 09:53:07 pm »
You likely switched the beer and gas posts.  They look the same, but aren't.
Yup, that's my guess as well or you flipped the dip tubes.

Degas, check posts and tubes,

I read this last sentence about ten times and kept thinking, there's an AHA member named Degas?

Anyway, I bet this is my problem. The posts are on the right place and it's not a hoppy beer, but I suddenly thought, I bet I switched the tubes. Though I wouldn't rule out gunk. In any event, another useful Forum thread. I will "Degas" the keg and make sure the tubes are in the right place and blow out the tubes and make sure there's no ice and so on.

Clearly I need to name this Edgar's Cream Ale...
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2016, 11:57:00 pm »

I read this last sentence about ten times and kept thinking, there's an AHA member named Degas?

Anyway, I bet this is my problem. The posts are on the right place and it's not a hoppy beer, but I suddenly thought, I bet I switched the tubes. Though I wouldn't rule out gunk. In any event, another useful Forum thread. I will "Degas" the keg and make sure the tubes are in the right place and blow out the tubes and make sure there's no ice and so on.

I think he was into harder stuff than beer
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2016, 06:03:40 am »

I think he was into harder stuff than beer

That may look like absinthe, but that's really me last week, winding down after work with a RR Damnation.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline dalenlandis

• 1st Kit
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2016, 09:00:08 am »
In a kegerator? Check to see that your beer line isn't between the back of the keg next to the condenser on the fridge. Even if that's me temperature isn't set too cold, the beer in the line can freeze over if it's being blasted with cold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2016, 11:50:06 am »
In a kegerator? Check to see that your beer line isn't between the back of the keg next to the condenser on the fridge. Even if that's me temperature isn't set too cold, the beer in the line can freeze over if it's being blasted with cold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's an ancient fridge (freebie from our landlord) but temp issues are good to note. It turns out the poppet was jammed with gunk. I had a siphoning issue when I filled the keg, so not too surprised, in retrospect, though I hadn't thought about that before. I rinsed out the poppet and the tube, but then checked my other two (currently empty) kegs and found a tube that is almost identical but a little shorter. Sanitized everything, put it back together, etc. I'm going to let the keg sit for a bit. It's a 3-gallon keg so it carbs up pretty quickly, but letting the beer settle will help. I may put a sanitized stainless steel Choreboy on the end of the tube next time. And siphon better. :-)
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2016, 09:37:33 am »
Check your poppet valve inside your beer-out post to see if there is a hop particle stuck in there.  This sometimes happens when dry hops make it into the keg.
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2016, 10:57:39 am »
Check your poppet valve inside your beer-out post to see if there is a hop particle stuck in there.  This sometimes happens when dry hops make it into the keg.

That was indeed the issue, see above...  ^^^^^^  Good lesson, had not thought about tiny parts clogging. (Lots of things to learn. The first time I kegged, I wasn't aware poppets came apart and started to panic when I put the posts in StarSan and all of a sudden they were in pieces... thank goodness for the Web, as I had no idea how to reassemble them.)
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2016, 12:14:33 pm »
Glad you found the problem!
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2016, 03:05:18 pm »
The first time I kegged, I wasn't aware poppets came apart and started to panic when I put the posts in StarSan and all of a sudden they were in pieces... thank goodness for the Web, as I had no idea how to reassemble them.)
I'd recommend keeping track of which pieces you take off of which side until you really know your kegs. I found that as I started building an inventory of used pin locks that some of the parts were not quite as interchangeable as you would think. Even with two of the exact same "make" of keg, the poppets and other parts may have been replaced with non-standard parts that don't always work together.

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2016, 04:17:49 pm »
The first time I kegged, I wasn't aware poppets came apart and started to panic when I put the posts in StarSan and all of a sudden they were in pieces... thank goodness for the Web, as I had no idea how to reassemble them.)
I'd recommend keeping track of which pieces you take off of which side until you really know your kegs. I found that as I started building an inventory of used pin locks that some of the parts were not quite as interchangeable as you would think. Even with two of the exact same "make" of keg, the poppets and other parts may have been replaced with non-standard parts that don't always work together.

That's great advice, thanks. I bought three different brand kegs (all 3-gallon) within six weeks of each purchase and then realized that by doing this I may have decreased the chance that parts would be interchangeable, so I've been keeping each keg grouped with the parts that came with it (once the parts are dry, I put them in a baggy and drop them in the keg for storage). The parts look the same to me, but it's not as if I checked with a micrometer.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2016, 04:46:03 pm »

That's great advice, thanks. I bought three different brand kegs (all 3-gallon) within six weeks of each purchase and then realized that by doing this I may have decreased the chance that parts would be interchangeable, so I've been keeping each keg grouped with the parts that came with it (once the parts are dry, I put them in a baggy and drop them in the keg for storage). The parts look the same to me, but it's not as if I checked with a micrometer.
The fact that you're paying that much attention means you'll do fine. I didn't think to do that until I had already screwed it up ;)

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2016, 06:54:53 pm »
Have you asked the beer nicely to come out?
Are you a Douglas Adams fan per chance? :)
Jesse