Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hallertauer Mittelfrüh = Spicy?  (Read 1496 times)

Offline phunhog

• Brewer
Hallertauer Mittelfrüh = Spicy?
« on: March 15, 2015, 03:38:57 pm »
So I made a Kellerbier using Hallertauer Mittelfrüh. The recipe came from a Zymurgy article a few issues back, basically it is a hoppy, amber german style lager.  Maybe I have never experienced that much Hallertauer Mittelfrüh late hopping but the spicy note is off the chart....I would say it is almost a " chile pepper" type of spicy. Not hot obviously but spicy if that makes any sense.  Has anyone ever encountered that before? I will try to dig up the recipe..

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Hallertauer Mittelfrüh = Spicy?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 03:51:43 pm »
There is a certain spicy character to it, although I wouldn't say I could describe it as chili-like... maybe a very very slight chili, like a jalapeno diluted down to 1/20 its usual strength, maybe.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2015, 05:07:33 pm »
I get a little spicy but more floral character out of Mittelfruh, fwiw.  People sometimes perceive hops differently, though.  Then there are differences in yearly crop, differences in retailers, etc.
Jon H.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 10:41:37 am »
I always thought Mittelfruh was commonly described as more herbal. Which by herbal, I assume people are thinking like parsely/cilantro/basil sort of herbal? I never quite get that. It's kind of hard to describe, but I guess I've never gotten spicy out of Mittelfruh.
Jesse

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 10:50:25 am »
I always thought Mittelfruh was commonly described as more herbal. Which by herbal, I assume people are thinking like parsely/cilantro/basil sort of herbal? I never quite get that. It's kind of hard to describe, but I guess I've never gotten spicy out of Mittelfruh.

Yeah, I don't get that either. A lot more floral to me.
Jon H.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2015, 02:58:23 pm »
It's herbal for sure.  Grass, hay, basil, oregano are all possible descriptors, more than I'd say chili.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2015, 04:40:00 pm »
I actually use them quite a bit in different styles and I get floral, maybe herbal but not anything I would describe as spicy really
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2015, 08:07:25 pm »
So I'm wondering if there is a regional/seasonal character going on here.

I am sipping the first early glass of a marzen I brewed 2 weeks ago, german munich and pils, german organic mittelfruh all the way through. I was out of magnum so I even bittered with them. And I'm getting an unusual spicey note on the tongue and a hint of chili-like flavor.

On the other hand, I used some of the same mittelfruh a couple months ago and did not notice this character.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2015, 08:34:26 pm »
Personally I find I get the most pleasant spiciness from German hops when they are boiled for a full 60-90 minutes, than if I reserve them for the end of the boil.  So you might also be picking up on that.  I love using my homegrown Hallertau for bittering, turns out wonderfully spicy and herbal every time.  Very "German" tasting.  No additional "flavor additions" required -- use them all in the full length of the boil.

Cheers.
Dave