Author Topic: Liquid vs dry yeast?  (Read 2647 times)

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
Re: Liquid vs dry yeast?
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2015, 01:40:04 PM »
Dry yeasts are getting better.  Just saying.  I used Abbaye yeast for a golden strong and it was very good.  Yes I love liquid yeasts and do starters, but there are some dry yeasts that are perfectly fine.

I'd not seen many good reviews of that strain, so that's encouraging.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2015, 02:06:16 PM »
For a neutral yeast, espcially for American ales, you can use dry US-05 interchangeably with WLP001 or WY1056. Similarly for neutral German lagers, W-34/70 is the same strain as WLP800 and WY2001.

For European ales though (English, Belgian, German, Flemish etc) I think there's a lot more variety to be had with the range of liquid options.

The 34/70 is usually said to be the WLP-830 and Wyeast-2124. It is the most widely used lager yeast since it was the one that Ludwig Narziss taught his students at Weihenstephan brewing school.
Jeff Rankert
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
AHA Governing Committee
BJCP National
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2015, 02:36:37 PM »
For a neutral yeast, espcially for American ales, you can use dry US-05 interchangeably with WLP001 or WY1056. Similarly for neutral German lagers, W-34/70 is the same strain as WLP800 and WY2001.

For European ales though (English, Belgian, German, Flemish etc) I think there's a lot more variety to be had with the range of liquid options.

The 34/70 is usually said to be the WLP-830 and Wyeast-2124. It is the most widely used lager yeast since it was the one that Ludwig Narziss taught his students at Weihenstephan brewing school.

I stand corrected. 34/70 is my go to lager yeast.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2015, 02:37:43 PM »

I wonder if that means it's particularly well suited to the Narziss ramped temp lager schedule.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2015, 02:50:03 PM »

I wonder if that means it's particularly well suited to the Narziss ramped temp lager schedule.

That I do not know.
Jeff Rankert
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
AHA Governing Committee
BJCP National

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2015, 11:18:56 PM »
34/70 is my go to lager yeast.
I really like it too, but I brewed a maibock today using S-189: a really good yeast if you can find it.
Crescent City, CA

I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2015, 01:26:52 AM »
What's interesting about W-34/70 is that it is not a strain.  It's the 70th isolate of strain number 34.  Hefebank Weihenstephan also offers W-34/78.   

http://www.hefebank-weihenstephan.de/strains.html

What's an isolate you may ask?  Well, it's a single well-isolated colony from a plate.

The yeast culture in the photo shown below is from Scottish and Newcastle's Tyne Brewery.  The well isolated round colonies in the lower right-hand quadrant of the plate are isolates because each one was formed by the offspring of single yeast cell.  Yeast cells can undergo mutation in use.  Periodic isolate selection can lead to the selection of cultures that have slightly or radically different performance characteristics.

Online ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life.
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2015, 03:49:09 AM »
So unless we have lab rated instruments, and do lab level isolations, we cannot know with a reasonable degree of certainty that the yeast we repitch will achieve the same results as the lab produced specimen of that yeast, right?

But as a homebrewer can we accept the clean resulting yeast of an initial pitch with a fair degree of certainty to produce a similar beer?
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2015, 04:08:12 AM »
What's interesting about W-34/70 is that it is not a strain.  It's the 70th isolate of strain number 34.  Hefebank Weihenstephan also offers W-34/78.   

http://www.hefebank-weihenstephan.de/strains.html

What's an isolate you may ask?  Well, it's a single well-isolated colony from a plate.

The yeast culture in the photo shown below is from Scottish and Newcastle's Tyne Brewery.  The well isolated round colonies in the lower right-hand quadrant of the plate are isolates because each one was formed by the offspring of single yeast cell.  Yeast cells can undergo mutation in use.  Periodic isolate selection can lead to the selection of cultures that have slightly or radically different performance characteristics.

I love science :)

Offline Iliff Ave Brewhouse

• Official Poobah of No Life.
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2015, 02:19:10 PM »
I really like it too, but I brewed a maibock today using S-189: a really good yeast if you can find it.

This is to be released by Fermentis in 11.5 g sachets this year...
On Tap/Bottled: Golsch, Iliff IPA, Hopfenbier, Salted berry cider

Fermenting: Rye Cream Ale
Up Next: G Pils, Maibock

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2015, 03:12:18 PM »

This is to be released by Fermentis in 11.5 g sachets this year...
Mark, or anyone else, do you have background on the origin of S-189?
Jeff Rankert
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
AHA Governing Committee
BJCP National

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2015, 03:26:35 PM »
So unless we have lab rated instruments, and do lab level isolations, we cannot know with a reasonable degree of certainty that the yeast we repitch will achieve the same results as the lab produced specimen of that yeast, right?

All yeast cultures drift over time.  That's why labs store important master cultures at -196C.  At that temperature, life goes into suspended animation.

I would argue that each of the BRY 96 descendents (i.e., "Chico," Wyeast 1056, WLP001, and US-05) are slightly different because they are isolates. 

But as a homebrewer can we accept the clean resulting yeast of an initial pitch with a fair degree of certainty to produce a similar beer?

In my humble opinion, home brewers should embrace drift, that is, as long as the drift is not affecting the finished product negatively.  Drift is how one develops a "house" yeast strain.  For example, there's zero doubt in my mind that the yeast strains used by Young's and Fuller's strain share a common ancestor.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2015, 03:30:13 PM »

I believe that the strain originates from the Hürlimann Brewery. 

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2015, 03:50:52 PM »

Yeah, that's what I've found also.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2015, 04:44:27 PM »

Yeah, that's what I've found also.

If I ever do a 14% lager I will use this yeast.   ;)
Jeff Rankert
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
AHA Governing Committee
BJCP National