Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Books for noobs  (Read 3721 times)

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Books for noobs
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2015, 08:29:06 am »
I'd recommend the the brewer's series as well as what's already been mentioned: "Yeast" Hops" " Water" and "Malt". Each book breaks down the principal ingredients of beer in detail and will help you understand each element

Brewing Association Publications needs to make this a box set and just call it "Beer".

I would definitely read through some of the others mentioned before hitting these.  They can get technical very fast.
True and a box set is a great idea! I threw these out there just because the other great books were already mentioned. Some of these are definitely more technical but valuable resources
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2015, 09:04:33 am »
For someone just starting out brewing, I would recommend Homebrewing Vol. I by Al Korzonas.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2015, 09:23:16 am »
My personal fav is "Designing Great Beers"

As great a book as that it, it'd getting long om the tooth.  While there's some great info there, like the concept of BU:GU, most of the recipe ideas are based on the unavailability of ingredients back then.  There are substitutions for ingredients that are readily available these days.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2015, 09:24:02 am »
I'd recommend the the brewer's series as well as what's already been mentioned: "Yeast" Hops" " Water" and "Malt". Each book breaks down the principal ingredients of beer in detail and will help you understand each element

He's a new brewer.  Why would he want to saddle himself with that?

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2015, 09:25:19 am »
Sounds good. Do any of these also go into why specific ingredients work best for certain styles?

Yes, that's exactly what Designing Great Beers does.

But as I mentioned, due to the lack of many ingredients years back, there are work arounds you wouldn't have to make today.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2015, 09:26:48 am »
For someone just starting out brewing, I would recommend Homebrewing Vol. I by Al Korzonas.

It's been out of print for a long tine so it might be hard to find.  PLus, the last time I looked through my copy I started laughing at some of the stuff that just isn't the case any longer.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2015, 09:46:38 am »
I agree with Denny. Since he is newer, some of these are either out of date or too technical. (Not that I don't own them all myself and find them to be fine books.)

I would personally start with How to Brew. It is an excellent beginner book.

From there, you can see where your brewing life takes you. Want to learn more about IPAs? Then Mitch Steele's book IPA would be great. Nerd out about doing well in comps? Then Gordon Strong's Brewing Better Beer would be your best bet. Want to brew crazy beers? Try out Denny & Drew's Experimental Brewing after you figure out how to brew a good base style. What to learn everything about water/malt/hops/yeast? Then grab the set of books for that.

Some of these other suggestions are like me suggesting The Principles of Brewing Science to my husband (who has no interest in calculus) when all he wanted was some light reading.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2015, 10:02:01 am »
My favorite brewing-related book to date is "Brewing" by Lewis and Young.  However, there is a lot of distance that needs to be covered between "How To Brew" and "Brewing." 

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2015, 10:34:27 am »
How to Brew is probably the best intro book on brewing. But I think Charlie P's books (The Complete Joy of Homebrewing and Homebrewer's Companion) are more fun to read and a lot more inspirational.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2015, 10:41:18 am »
However, there is a lot of distance that needs to be covered between "How To Brew" and "Brewing."

Why yes, it's not because you "know" how to brew that you are actually brewing, right?
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2015, 10:56:12 am »
How to Brew is probably the best intro book on brewing. But I think Charlie P's books (The Complete Joy of Homebrewing and Homebrewer's Companion) are more fun to read and a lot more inspirational.

I credit Charlie P with getting me wicked excited about the hobby. I read the Complete Joy of Homebrewing in 2 days and had my first kettle 2 days after that.

However, I also think I spent entirely too much time "RDWHAHB-ing" per his instructions and not enough time actually trying to improve my beer. YMMV of course.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2015, 11:51:31 am »

He's a new brewer.  Why would he want to saddle himself with that?
Seemed like he was looking for some more depth in his education as everyone had already mentioned the books most people start out with:)
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2015, 01:26:32 pm »

+1 

I wore the cover off of my copy of The Complete Joy.  No other brewing-related book that I have purchased has come close to seeing that much use. 

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2015, 02:29:04 pm »

Yeah, there's something about The Complete Joy of Homebrewing that really captured my imagination as well. 

To me, Randy Mosher channels some of that essence in Radical Brewing, though it's not really a book for beginners.   
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

cptnpenguin

« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2015, 10:19:18 pm »
From what it sounds like I think I'll be getting the Charlie P. and Mosher books first than get that series. I'm a science teacher so I enjoy the technical side of things as well. Thanks everyone!

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."