Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pro + local Beer/tap bar  (Read 1938 times)

Offline ppbrewclub

• 1st Kit
  • PPBC Est. Sept 2012
    • Facebook: Pleasant Prairie Brew Club
Pro + local Beer/tap bar
« on: March 23, 2015, 03:30:10 pm »
What would be the pros and cons of owning a craft beer bar, where there are, say, 20 taps of local craft beers plus your own?

Actually, in CO, a guy opened up a "Shoes and Brews" that I am REALLY interested in.  I live in the area code 262, which is in WI.  262 has a running reference (26.2 miles = a marathon).  I am a marathoner, craft beer lover and home brewer.  I am developing a business plan as we speak.

262 Shoes 2 Brews.  The "2" suggests that there are 2 different kinds of brews:  Beer (of course) and coffee.
Two sides to the store, and one would be referred as "262 Shoes" and the other would be referred to as "262 Brews". 
Drink your own beer

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
Re: Pro + local Beer/tap bar
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 10:00:36 pm »
You're really talking about four businesses in the same place:

1. Shoe store;
2. Coffee house;
3. Brewery; and
4. Bar/taproom.

That is a lot of infrastructure and business design going in different directions.

You need to look at your state's licensing to see if you can even set up on a brewpub model that lets you sell more external beer than internal beer. You also need to determine if the licensing restraints make it profitable to sell your own beer.

Before you commit to the name you ought to check into whether AB InBev took a trademark on your area code. A couple years ago they ran around trademarking area codes to replicate Goose Island 312 in other areas. They may already have 262 for beer and brewing.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 01:07:07 pm »
And as we all know from the past trademarks can be a source of expensive and painful litigation in the beer world. With another business having an already extant claim to the name it may be tricky.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 06:13:46 pm »
1) If you brew and sell beer you need to have brewery or brewpub license.

2) yes you can sell any beer in your establishment (with brewers license) that is licensed to be sold in WI.

3) it could be in interesting idea to roast coffee and brew beer in the same establishment. Just identify what is your vision as you could project it to your customers.

Good luck.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com