Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Kefir lime leaves; hops combo  (Read 2254 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Kefir lime leaves; hops combo
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2015, 12:38:22 pm »
I thought I had some munich but don't. I have Vienna but not enough to get to 20%. I'm thinking 80 % 2 row, 15% Vienna, and 5% 10L carmel. and oh yea, flaked barley. I guess I'll be giving 110% like coaches say. Maybe 1.065-70. I think that will get me malty but not sweet with a dry finish.
I absolutely will be using the lime leaves sparingly. I'm thinking bittering with a combo of centennial and galena then doing a hopstand with centennial, Amarillo and cascade. I'll chop up the lime leaves in a processor with hot wort and add to the hopstand. I'll take a gravity sample a week later and taste to see if it wants some more dry hops or lime leaves.
This could be real good or real bad. Its a 2.5 gallon batch and I'll be bottling two batches this week so its a good time to take a chance. I've been concentrating on simplicity and classic styles lately so a little playing around will be fun.
Since there isn't a lot active in this category I thought it would be OK to bump this up and say since there are quite a few people here who are really into making IPA's I would love what people think of this outline of a recipe.
I'm not a big fan of flaked barley in an IPA - it has a grassy, raw grain flavor that sticks out like a sore thumb in pale beers. At least to my palate - others may disagree. Otherwise, the grain bill looks good to me. Hops do wonders for head retention, so you might be OK. If I felt the need to add some head insurance I'd use maybe 5-10% wheat malt or flaked/torrified wheat.

Your hop schedule looks pretty good to me. I'd shoot for 60-70 IBU from your bittering addition. I have no idea how the hop/lime leaf balance is going to fall, but I'd go with maybe 1 or 1.5 ounces of each hop variety in the whirlpool.

What yeast are you planning on using? Are you sticking with the typical 001/1056/US-05, or something else?

I'm very curious to hear how this turns out. Keep us posted.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2015, 04:59:39 pm »
Thanks Eric. Yes, 1056.
Good point about hoppy beer and head retention. I think I have only used flaked barley in a stout so wasn't thinking about if it would not perform well in a paler beer. OTOH there's been a lot of pushback on the idea that wheat helps with head retention. I don't think I'm convinced to nix the flaked barley but I'll go with a light touch and hope the hops help too.
Are your hop amounts based on 2.5 gallons?
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2015, 06:10:33 pm »
Thanks Eric. Yes, 1056.
Good point about hoppy beer and head retention. I think I have only used flaked barley in a stout so wasn't thinking about if it would not perform well in a paler beer. OTOH there's been a lot of pushback on the idea that wheat helps with head retention. I don't think I'm convinced to nix the flaked barley but I'll go with a light touch and hope the hops help too.
Are your hop amounts based on 2.5 gallons?
Yes, I was thinking for 2.5 gallons. One to two ounces whirlpool hops per gallon should give you good hop flavor and aroma but still leave some room for the lime leaves.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2015, 07:49:07 am »
I tasted a gravity sample last night. This is actually turning out better than I thought, I wasn't expecting to get it right the first time but maybe I will. There is nice bright, fresh citrus aroma and flavor without it being perfumy, which I had been fearing because the lime leaves have such a strong aroma. I need the yeast cake for an IPA I'm brewing tonight so I'm going to rack over a little more cascade and a tiny bit more lime leaf then bottle this weekend. That should insure a fresh aroma.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2015, 07:52:59 am »
I tasted a gravity sample last night. This is actually turning out better than I thought, I wasn't expecting to get it right the first time but maybe I will. There is nice bright, fresh citrus aroma and flavor without it being perfumy, which I had been fearing because the lime leaves have such a strong aroma. I need the yeast cake for an IPA I'm brewing tonight so I'm going to rack over a little more cascade and a tiny bit more lime leaf then bottle this weekend. That should insure a fresh aroma.

Sounds awesome! Did you end up adding the chopped up leaves at the hopstand? How much did you use for 2.5 gallons? Sorry if I passed over that info.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2015, 08:13:19 am »

Sounds awesome! Did you end up adding the chopped up leaves at the hopstand? How much did you use for 2.5 gallons? Sorry if I passed over that info.
I used 6 or 7 leaves ground a bit with a mortar and pestle in the hopstand. I'll add one or two leaves when I dry hop.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2015, 05:48:15 pm »
glad it sounds like it turned out for you! As I was grinding my 42 grams of lime leaves today for my 372 gallons on beer I thought about this thread. 6 or 7 leaves sounds like about the right balance for your size batch.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2015, 06:24:45 am »
Thanks. I did add two more when I dry hopped. I bottled this past weekend and it seems spot on, very pronounced citrus aroma and flavor but no weird aftertaste or off flavors, probably not for everyone because its a bit over the top but that's what I was shooting for this time. That's the second beer with unusual ingredients that turned out well(wild grape saison) . I am pretty happy because I feel all the time I have put in the past year brewing, here,  and other reading has improved my brewing to the point where I can bring in my culinary experience and really manipulate flavors.