Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: acid malt  (Read 1438 times)

Online Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
acid malt
« on: March 17, 2015, 11:02:22 am »
I am scheduling an American wheat and either a pilsner or helles soon and am planning a mash pH of 5.2 for both. I acidify with lactic acid but will have to use a lot more than normal to get my pH that low. Is there any advantage to using acid malt instead of lactic acid? What would be the max % of acid malt for a normal light beer style?
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Stevie

Re: acid malt
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 11:32:54 am »
Acid malt is just malt that has either been coated with lactic acid, or allowed to sour naturally. I say either or because I have heard both methods and don't know which is correct. Maybe both depending on the maltster  :-\

Rule of thumb is 1% acid malt will lower pH by 0.1. I have seen recipes with 10%, but needing to lower pH by a full point makes me think that dilution of the source water with RO/DI or distilled is a better way to go.

Online Iliff Ave

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 11:38:42 am »
Thanks. I just found some of that information so it seems that using lactic acid and acid malt are pretty much the same thing. I wasn't sure if there was a preference.

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 11:38:58 am »
The amount is going to depend on how low you need to go.  IIRC, the general rule of thumb is 1% per 0.1 drop in pH.  So, if you needed to adjust pH by 0.5, you would need to include 5% of your grist as acid malt.  That being said, acid malt is pilsner malt with lactic acid, so if you need to acidify a lot, you could potentially get the same flavor contribution as using lactic acid.  For my wheat beer recipe, I used to use about 1mL per gallon and that was right at the threshold where I could smell it fleetingly in the finished product.  So, I switched to phosphoric and it's a non-issue.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2015, 11:42:26 am »
I know many people use phosphoric for that reason, and I have considered the change. I use so little lactic acid that I just don't see a point until I either run out or spill my bottle. I think the most I have ever used is about 2ml for a 5 gallon batch.

Online Iliff Ave

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2015, 11:50:21 am »
Looks like 3.5 mL of lactic acid or 7.6 oz of aciduated malt would get me down from 5.7 to 5.2 for the American wheat. I have never used more than like 0.7 mL of lactic acid for my mash so 5 times as much made me think there could be ill effects.

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2015, 12:00:13 pm »
Looks like 3.5 mL of lactic acid or 7.6 oz of aciduated malt would get me down from 5.7 to 5.2 for the American wheat. I have never used more than like 0.7 mL of lactic acid for my mash so 5 times as much made me think there could be ill effects.

I've used that much lactic several times.  No problems.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Online Iliff Ave

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2015, 01:08:40 pm »
Thanks. I am a water treatment newbie so there are still a lot of things I don't fully understand.

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2015, 01:15:56 pm »
I've used that much lactic several times.  No problems.
Same here.  It's not until I got really close to 1mL per gallon that it became noticeable, but our water is relatively high RA.