Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Grain Bill  (Read 3238 times)

Offline LittleBigDreams14

• 1st Kit
Re: Grain Bill
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2015, 12:12:36 pm »
Thanks Denny! That was beyond helpful I learn something new everyday due to this wonderful community of passionate home brewers. 
Little Big Dreams Brew Co.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2015, 10:03:21 pm »
As to the hops,is there a reason for so many types?  My concern is getting a bit of a muddled flavor from using so many different hops... But I'm not a big hopper and maybe your combination will work well....others can help on this.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2015, 06:12:33 am »
@erock so your saying use 50% more base 2 row with a 10% of sugar followed by Steve thought already? I may or may not agree with this hence the DIPA is already sugary enough, but am always up for thoughts. Thanks

@Steve-My hops addition are simcoe and centennial at boil @ 60min
Followed by Amarillo, Sorachi Ace, Anthnum, Simcoe, and Centennial @ 10 mins and then the same for 30 mins in a whirlpool @ flame out
Unlike malt, simple sugar ferments fully leaving no residual sweetness. By substituting 10% of your malt bill with simple sugar you end up with slightly more alcohol and less sweetness in the finished beer. It sounds counterintuitive, but that's what happens.
Yep. I don't think I will ever tire of telling non brewers I use sugar to make beer less sweet.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline curtism1234

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2015, 12:26:34 pm »
As to the hops,is there a reason for so many types?  My concern is getting a bit of a muddled flavor from using so many different hops... But I'm not a big hopper and maybe your combination will work well....others can help on this.

I tend to agree, but Falconer's Flight is a popular one.

Sorachi Ace is known to be lemony. I might question that addition as I personally wouldn't want that in an ipa or 2x. Be interesting to see how it turns out. I think all the others will work well together.

• 1st Kit
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2015, 12:56:33 pm »
I agree it's a bit much, however I am a huge fan of hops and even bigger fan of any and all citrus hop varietals. So with that being said I thought making a hop bomb of similar hop flavors and aromas. The ipa I had previously made with this hop addition turned out pretty intresting. with heavy grapefruit on the back end.

I plan on making a few batches ( 1gallon) as I always do for expiermental purposes. @Curtis after the first batch I'll try the recipe without the sorachi ace and let you know how it comes outs and if it's delicious I'll send you one my friend.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2015, 01:06:50 pm »
I agree it's a bit much, however I am a huge fan of hops and even bigger fan of any and all citrus hop varietals. So with that being said I thought making a hop bomb of similar hop flavors and aromas. The ipa I had previously made with this hop addition turned out pretty intresting. with heavy grapefruit on the back end.

I plan on making a few batches ( 1gallon) as I always do for expiermental purposes. @Curtis after the first batch I'll try the recipe without the sorachi ace and let you know how it comes outs and if it's delicious I'll send you one my friend.

FWIW, I wouldn't shy away from blending hops that complement each other, especially in IPAs.   For IPA I'll bitter with a hop like Columbus and it's not unusual for me to blend 4 varieties to use for flavor and aroma, to get some complexity in the hop character.  Other beers not generally as many varieties.
Jon H.

Offline curtism1234

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2015, 01:57:28 pm »
@Curtis after the first batch I'll try the recipe without the sorachi ace and let you know how it comes outs and if it's delicious I'll send you one my friend.

Can't beat that deal  8)

• 1st Kit
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2015, 09:16:09 am »
What's up fellas! Brew day is slowly upon us. So I been thinking over the last few days.....When increasing my grain bill should I also increase my hop addition as well? I was thinking maybe alittle bit so they won't get lost in the increased grains. Let me know what your thoughts are!!

Cheers,

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2015, 09:17:55 am »
What's up fellas! Brew day is slowly upon us. So I been thinking over the last few days.....When increasing my grain bill should I also increase my hop addition as well? I was thinking maybe alittle bit so they won't get lost in the increased grains. Let me know what your thoughts are!!

Cheers,

If you want to keep the same BU:GU ratio (Bittering Units:Gravity Units) you'll need to increase the hops.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell