Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: steeping vs mashing  (Read 1985 times)

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
steeping vs mashing
« on: May 17, 2010, 11:06:37 am »
Our home brew club presented a demonstration brew at a local farmers market over the weekend.  I'm the only one doing all grain brewing, so we decided to do an extract brew.  (plus we only had three hours)

So a guy comes up to our booth, who obviously knew a little about brewing.  We were steeping the grains at that point.  (crystal 20, 60, and some Victory)  The guy was stating that steeping during an extract brew is the same as mashing during an all grain batch. 

I tend to disagree, because I know some grains just can't be steeped. 

Thoughts?

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: steeping vs mashing
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 11:52:24 am »
It's possible you both could be right.

If you're single-temp steeping crystal malts only--there's no mashing at all, and you'd be right.

If you're "mini-mashing" while you're steeping grains (crystal plus Victory malt--a toasted pale malt that does have some diastatic power) by stepping up the temps, then he's right (about the Victory malt, anyway).

There are those who assert that extract + steeping or partial grain beers can be just as good as all-grain beers. 
Perhaps that is what your visitor meant.

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
Re: steeping vs mashing
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 11:53:41 am »
The guy was stating that steeping during an extract brew is the same as mashing during an all grain batch. 

It can be but it usually isn't.  If you're just soaking the grains in the warm water, that's steeping.  If you include enough base malt in your grains, if you control the water to grain ratio, and if you control and hold the temperature, then that's mashing (commonly referred to as "mini-mash" or "partial mash").
Joe