Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Speed Controller For Slower Drill Speed on Mill  (Read 1130 times)

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
Speed Controller For Slower Drill Speed on Mill
« on: March 19, 2015, 05:52:54 am »
I finally mounted my antique 1/2" drill to my mill and made a stand for it.  I bought a $20 router speed controller at H Freight to control the speed.  My drill was not variable speed, and was too fast at 400RPM.  I could not believe how much better the crush looked.  I'm guessing I was running around 200RPM.  I fly sparge and had fought too much flour in the mash, even though I pulsed the trigger to slow it down. The speed controller worked great.  The drill didn't struggle at the lower speed.  Super nice to not have to hold the drill and dump grain in at the same time.  I also jumped to 83% efficiency, from my normal 77%.  Great option for those using drills w/o variable speed. 
Jeff B

Offline wingnut

• Brewer
  • Plainwell MI
Re: Speed Controller For Slower Drill Speed on Mill
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2015, 06:05:21 am »
I might have to work on a project like this my next free day.   I have been looking for a means to provide speed control to the drill, and possibly lock the drill on... without havig to keep one hand on the drill the whole time.

This solves the issue!

Another idea would be for those people doing fly sparging with march pumps.  I would think this would allow them to ramp speed control better.   Might be a $20 fix where a $5 valve would work just as well... but it is a lot cooler to have a dial on your control panel than moving a ball valve handle.

thanks for the idea!
-- Wingnut - Cheers!

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2015, 06:56:16 am »
My drill is variable speed with trigger control - so I use a zip-tie to hold the trigger at the speed I like. :)
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2015, 09:23:58 am »
I removed the handle on the drill that was 1/2" pipe.  Ran it through the ply wood.  With a little space to match my MM-3, a nut on the bottom, and it was like having a direct drive motor for $20.  I can't believe I fought the drill in one hand, grain scoop in the other for so long.  I'm making a hopper addition for the big grain bills and I'll be set.  If it had variable speed, all there would be is make a mount.  It really did improve the crush.. If I batch sparged, the finer crush and flour wouldn't matter.  That causes problems when fly sparging. 
Jeff B