Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cold Crashing Starter  (Read 9773 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Cold Crashing Starter
« on: March 20, 2015, 12:39:33 pm »
I need some clarification on when to cold crash a starter please. I believe in the past people have mentioned after the krausen begins to fall. I have read more recently that you should crash after fermentation is over in the starter. Thoughts? Bonus picture below of my starter after 18 or so hours.

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: Cold Crashing Starter
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2015, 12:54:31 pm »
This answer, like many others, depends on who you ask.  I had planned on dosing my next starter with oxygen, shaking and then crashing at high krausen.  Previously I've done 18-24 hours on a stir plate, with no oxygen injection.  What yeast are you using?

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2015, 12:55:35 pm »
I am sure I am wrong but I am happy with me results. I let mine ferment out and then cold crash. Decant the beer and pitch dregs. Now, if I forget to make a starter ahead or don't have time. Then I make a starter using wort and pitch the entire thing at high krausen but I am doing 15 gal batches so one litre of starter is of little concern to me.
That's what I do and it works for me.

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2015, 12:58:57 pm »
What yeast are you using?

WLP 001

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2015, 01:01:43 pm »
The good news is it is hard to go wrong with that yeast for beers within normal gravity ranges.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2015, 02:30:00 pm »
I am sure I am wrong but I am happy with me results. I let mine ferment out and then cold crash. Decant the beer and pitch dregs.

Just what I do, too.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2015, 03:06:59 pm »
I too prefer to let my starter ferment to completion before cold crashing (usually around 24 hrs is enough depending on starter size and yeast freshness).  All starters done on a stir plate.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2015, 03:15:28 pm »
Now, if I forget to make a starter ahead or don't have time. Then I make a starter using wort and pitch the entire thing at high krausen...
I have been reserving this in my toolbox for a while. Such a smart and easy trick.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2015, 03:17:02 pm »
Unless I'm pitching at high krausen I chill after the growth phase.

Offline bassetman

• Cellarman
  • B is for beer and Basset
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2015, 03:52:45 pm »
After the cold crash when is the best time to use the starter and how long could you delay in a pinch?
If it ain't broke let me have a go at it.

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2015, 05:27:55 pm »
Now, if I forget to make a starter ahead or don't have time. Then I make a starter using wort and pitch the entire thing at high krausen...
I have been reserving this in my toolbox for a while. Such a smart and easy trick.

I've done this a few times. Quite frankly, it's tempting to make this my normal practice.

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2015, 09:50:15 am »
After the cold crash when is the best time to use the starter and how long could you delay in a pinch?

If I plan to brew Friday then I crash Thursday night and pitch the next day. I have had pitches wait 3 or 4 days with no issue but if things change and I can't brew for a week or so then I pull a bit of boiling wort in a clean mason jar, cap and cool and then put it on the yeast cake and pitch the whole thing a couple hours later. But I have only had to do this a couple times. Mostly I think it just wakes the yeast up.

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2015, 02:48:02 pm »
OK, to beat a dead horse...I'd really like to brew tomorrow, but the starter is still chugging along. The krausen has fallen considerably but there is still active fermentation.

Would cold crashing tonight for 12 or so hours and decanting be "throwing away" some of the potential active yeast vs. waiting for fermentation to fully finish?

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2015, 02:53:42 pm »
I believe that if the krausen has fallen then the yeast are now just building up resources and not reproducing. I believe you will be just fine to crash it tonight and then brew with it tomorrow. I certainly would.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2015, 03:09:46 pm »
Unless we are talking about a huge starter, crashing isn't really necessary.  I almost never crash my starters.  I pitch the entire contents of the starter vessel.  However, then again, I do not use a yeast stress inducing stir plate.