Author Topic: Homebrewer Bio  (Read 1053 times)

Offline Rattlesnake44

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
Homebrewer Bio
« on: March 20, 2015, 08:25:43 PM »
Hi, I'm Jonathan from Hawthorne, CA, its in the SouthBay of Los Angeles.

Whew, finding a decent picture of myself was the hardest part.
EDIT- thought I'd explain the screen name as well, it was a call sign from my military days, I got so used to it, it just stuck.
I've been Homebrewing since around 1998... Took a few years off because my work schedule at the time allowed for zero free time. Started up again about two years ago.
I've had a couple batches that had to be dumped but no major disasters (insert a pic of me knocking on wood here).
My current favorite styles to brew are Hop forward beers, APAs and IPAs and I've recently tried a couple Stone Brewing clones with some success.
I think if I had to pick a style that I'd never brew it would be a barley wine. Never enjoyed them that much and so, I don't think I'd go through the time and effort of brewing something I wouldn't enjoy drinking. But never say never.
My first brew was an all grain batch of pale ale, it was under the tutelage of the then head brewer at Triple Rock brewery in Berkeley, CA. It turned out great since I basically did all the leg work and he sat back and gave directions.
My only mistakes produced batches that had to be dumped. Never had that serendipitous moment we all hope will happen when we know we've fouled up.
Favorite current recipe is usually the one I've just started drinking.
Not a judge so no stories about being a judge.
No real tricks or gadgets. I'm a K. I. S. S. brewer. The more simple the process the happier I am.
Typical home brew set up (I hesitate to give it the validity of naming it a "system") Home Depot cooler for a MT, 10 gallon BK, Bayou burner, extra cheapie kettle as a HLT, and a chest freezer with dual temperature control for fermenting in this warm and glorious SoCal weather.
I usually brew once, maybe twice a month. I have a two tap kegerator and try to keep both taps flowing.
I don't really have a favorite malt but my favorite hop right now is Citra. I love the grapefruit and orangey citrus notes it produces.
WLP 001 is what I would call my house yeast. Never failed me, with or without a starter. My LHBS always has it fresh.
Not part of a club currently. And that would sum up my bio I think.
Cheers!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 09:25:18 PM by Rattlesnake44 »

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
Re: Homebrewer Bio
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2015, 08:28:45 PM »
Hey Jonathon!  Welcome!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • View Profile
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2015, 08:57:01 PM »
From one Jonathan to another Welcome!
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2015, 09:18:58 PM »
Crap, now there is two of them...  ;)

Chance are I will be moving your way or the Valley. Any good clubs other than the Falcons?

Offline Rattlesnake44

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2015, 09:23:29 PM »

Crap, now there is two of them...  ;)

Chance are I will be moving your way or the Valley. Any good clubs other than the Falcons?
Ummmmm... Me or him? There's two of us remember?

Offline Stevie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2015, 09:25:38 PM »
You...

I know the other Jonathan as we were clubmates in Northern California. He borrowed my burner once, so yeah we're pretty close.

Offline Rattlesnake44

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2015, 09:32:51 PM »

You...

I know the other Jonathan as we were clubmates in Northern California. He borrowed my burner once, so yeah we're pretty close.
Damn, that's practically BFF status then. The two biggest clubs in my area are Pacific Gravity and The Strand Brewers club. I don't really know much about either unfortunately.

Offline Stevie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2015, 09:39:00 PM »
Seen both in the AHA directory. Figure it's good to ask for recommendations.

Offline Rattlesnake44

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2015, 09:42:31 PM »
My work schedule keeps me pretty busy and my days off change based on my schedule so it's always been a pain in the butt to try and get to meetings and be active in a club. Which is why I like the forum. I can be a part of a brewing community, but on my time.

Offline Stevie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2015, 09:46:05 PM »
My work schedule keeps me pretty busy and my days off change based on my schedule so it's always been a pain in the butt to try and get to meetings and be active in a club. Which is why I like the forum. I can be a part of a brewing community, but on my time.
No doubt. Our old club had an insanely active email list. It was great. I really didn't get into the forums until I got to Texas and was unable to make meeting due to work.

Offline Rattlesnake44

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2015, 09:49:50 PM »
Well, if it's your choice between Southbay and the Valley... My vote is Southbay, we have beaches. Torrance has become little San Diego in terms of breweries opening up, the Southbay Brewing Supply Store is a great local shop with an outstanding staff, and it's smack in the middle of all those aforementioned breweries. Also, the beaches.

Offline HoosierBrew

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2015, 07:13:45 PM »
Welcome Jonathan !
Jon H.