Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Waiter, There’s Cat Pee in My Beer (and other funny beer descriptors)  (Read 3094 times)

Offline daniel_cerveza

• Cellarman
Just thought I'd share a few beer descriptors with you guys:

http://www.beersyndicate.com/blog/waiter-theres-cat-pee-in-my-beer/

Anybody have any other funny descriptors that aren't too common?

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
I got strong tomato sauce flavor and aroma in a bottle of lindemans cassis lambic.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline daniel_cerveza

• Cellarman
Ha!  I've had the cassis, but will have to try it again now! 

The only beer I know brewed with tomatoes is Mamma Mia Pizza Beer.  Haven't tried it, but want to!

http://www.mammamiapizzabeer.com/main.php

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
I got strong tomato sauce flavor and aroma in a bottle of lindemans cassis lambic.
That sort of makes sense. 4MMP is present in high levels in tomato vines, blackcurrant, tomcat urine and many new world hop varieties. It would make sense that a blackcurrant lambic might have flavor similarities to tomato sauce, especially a sweetened one.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Many beers with high rates of Simcoe, Citra, other New World hops are just cat pee to my wife. She is much more sensitive to it. I get the pine and fruit.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
That sort of makes sense. 4MMP is present in high levels in tomato vines, blackcurrant, tomcat urine and many new world hop varieties. It would make sense that a blackcurrant lambic might have flavor similarities to tomato sauce, especially a sweetened one.

it definitely had to do with the sweetness. I suspect it wouldn't have been nearly so distinctive if it wasn't syrupy
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
Many beers with high rates of Simcoe, Citra, other New World hops are just cat pee to my wife. She is much more sensitive to it. I get the pine and fruit.
Same here.  Simcoe especially.  She gets nothing but cat pee and/or sweaty gym sock.  It's rare to find an IPA she can tolerate.

S. cerevisiae

Simcoe is definitely the cat urine hop.  It smells just like a home that has an intact adult male cat that loves to mark his territory.   Citra and Chinook have the same foul odor to a lesser extent.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
I think it depends on how its used. Try it as a whirlpool addition

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN

+1.  It's funny how differently people perceive hop aromas. Occasionally I'll pick up a slight cattiness from Simcoe, but mostly pine and fruit as well. I get none from Citra. But I'm really sensitive to the onion/garlic thing, which I strongly dislike.
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Waiter, There’s Cat Pee in My Beer (and other funny beer descriptors)
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2015, 09:08:36 am »

+1.  It's funny how differently people perceive hop aromas. Occasionally I'll pick up a slight cattiness from Simcoe, but mostly pine and fruit as well. I get none from Citra. But I'm really sensitive to the onion/garlic thing, which I strongly dislike.
I don't get cat pee at all, just blackcurrant skin. But I'm the same way with the onion/garlic/Asiago thing. Anything more than the faintest hint and the beer starts to become savory to me and I can't bring myself to drink it.

I'm curious to see what others will think of Wai-iti once it starts becoming more widely available in the US. I just get straight up, concentrated blackcurrant from that hop. I wonder if others will get a lot of cat pee from that one.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2015, 09:15:34 am »

I don't get cat pee at all, just blackcurrant skin. But I'm the same way with the onion/garlic/Asiago thing. Anything more than the faintest hint and the beer starts to become savory to me and I can't bring myself to drink it.

I'm curious to see what others will think of Wai-iti once it starts becoming more widely available in the US. I just get straight up, concentrated blackcurrant from that hop. I wonder if others will get a lot of cat pee from that one.

Yeah, I haven't used Wai-iti yet - I'm curious to see how I perceive it.  The only 'over the top' catty hop (to me) I've tried was at a brewpub a few years back. This place had a NZ single hop APA on tap, and it was crazy catty to me. I wish I could remember the variety but I was out of town with a big group and didn't remember the name. It was weird because I don't generally get that from other hops, even the supposed catty ones.
Jon H.

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2015, 10:18:13 am »
Horse Blanket and barnyard come to mind.  That ain't the hops talking.
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2015, 06:37:17 pm »

I've never skinned a blackcurrent and imagine it's very tedious. And anyway, it's very difficult to get fresh blackcurrents in the US, so I always wonder where descriptors like that come from.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2015, 06:39:03 pm »
My favorite - I know a Grand Master judge who describes floating particulates in beer as 'sea monkeys'
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958