Author Topic: Derek from Syracuse  (Read 1652 times)

Derek

Derek from Syracuse
« on: March 21, 2015, 01:18:34 AM »

Hello All! I'm a new homebrewer based in Syracuse, NY. I have 3 extract brews under my belt: an oatmeal stout, pilsner and an IPA. I'm currently preparing and securing equipment for my first all grain brew.

I'm an Electrical Engineer currently working in Nuclear with my formal education coming from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in Troy, NY. I have been doing a lot of research on brewing and the science and mechanics of good beer so I hope it pays off!

I'm a huge fan of Belgian beers and my tastes and homebrew interests are centered around that for the near future.

I'll be brewing my first all grain batch (Belgian Dark Strong) sometime in May using an insulated bucket mash tun, single propane burner, SS pot and my Brew Demon 3 gallon plastic conical.

I look forward to sharing info on my brew days and learning tons of stuff on the forum.

Cheers!

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life.
    • View Profile
Re: Derek from Syracuse
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 01:48:03 AM »
Welcome. I'm sure your electrical expertise will be quite invaluable here.

Derek

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2015, 02:06:11 AM »
Welcome. I'm sure your electrical expertise will be quite invaluable here.

That remains to be seen! I am a power engineering guy so large transformers, relays, breakers, generators and motors are my thing but I have been known to break some solder out every now and then and build circuits.

One thing that majoring EE taught me was a love for writing out and solving equations. With all the software out there I still enjoy doing hand calculations.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2015, 02:11:05 AM »
Saw your post earlier, welcome to the forum, a pretty good place all in all.
Jeff Rankert
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
AHA Governing Committee
BJCP National
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Stevie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2015, 02:11:52 AM »
There is a computer engineer here that might be your twin.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • View Profile
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2015, 02:18:01 AM »
welcome indeed. third batch and already introducing yourself to the crowd. I think the hooks in pretty deep already.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Derek

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2015, 02:29:03 AM »
welcome indeed. third batch and already introducing yourself to the crowd. I think the hooks in pretty deep already.

Let's run it down the facts:

1.) A hobby where the ends justify the means? Check

2.) A hobby where research translates into trying and creating an awesome liquid that makes you happy in more ways than one? Check

3.) A hobby your wife initiated? Double Check

4.) A hobby which combines all the things you love about science, engineering, mathematics and general human nature? Check.

I can't see any reason why someone wouldn't gladly accept the hooks. For me it's a matter of being able to study and research a topic which ultimately benefits me in more ways than one. It keeps my brain stimulated and ultimately I get to reap the rewards.

I used to play the guitar and the equipment is only fun if its loud. Doesn't work with kids and a family. I used to love sports but the farther away you get from your days of playing and your group of friends the less interesting it becomes. Beer brewing lets me explore and research an interesting topic and do one of the things I love the most: drink good beer!

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
    • Accidentalis Brewing Blog
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2015, 02:47:39 AM »
Welcome, but might draw the line if you invent a plutonium powered full mash BIAB system. Just might be a bridge too far! 
Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot
Blogging from the garage @ accidentalis.com
>> Bru'n Water Spreadsheet Walkthroughs<<
>> Bru'n Water Subscriber Version 5.3 Spreadsheet Walkthrough <<

Offline Rattlesnake44

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2015, 02:52:27 AM »
Hola! And welcome.

Derek

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2015, 02:55:53 AM »
Welcome, but might draw the line if you invent a plutonium powered full mash BIAB system. Just might be a bridge too far!

They don't let the EE's near the juice! Were not smart enough!

It really is a hell of an industry. It is a microcosm of the ENTIRE engineering community: we have Electrical, Mechanical, Civil, Structural, Nuclear and Chemical engineers. We have Nuclear and Radiation Physics people, Health Physics folks, business majors, electricians, welders, pipe fitters, etc.

It is an incredible assortment of intelligent people.

Derek

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2015, 02:57:52 AM »
Cheers to everyone for the warm welcome. I'll tip my Allagash Dubbel to you after I get off my 12 hour shift!

Offline Rattlesnake44

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2015, 05:21:17 AM »
12 hour shift? So you only work half days Huh?

Derek

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2015, 05:34:58 AM »
12 hour shift? So you only work half days Huh?

Yup. What a slacker!

I'm a 40 hr. a week guy but were refueling one of the reactors so i'm on 6 days a week, 12 hours a shift for the next few weeks.

Offline HoosierBrew

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2015, 07:05:18 PM »
Welcome Derek !.  Lots of good people here. I'm a fellow lover of the Belgian stuff, too.
Jon H.

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2015, 06:38:33 PM »
Welcome aboard Derek. I also made the jump to AG after only about 3 extract batches. Using Denny's cheap and easy method(dennybrew.com) it really is just that cheap and easy. i am sure the engineer side of you will overtake the newbie brewer side and have you putting out fantastic brews in no time. Good luck
Frank L.
Fermenting:
Conditioning:
In keg: Märzen
In Bottles:  
In the works: