Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Orval - disappointed  (Read 11496 times)

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
Re: Orval - disappointed
« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2015, 06:58:20 am »
  I have been burned quite a few times with old bottles.  But in Belgium, it is Heaven on Earth.

Funny, in Belgium we age the bottles in our cellars. I know at least one pub where you can ask for a bottle from a specific year...

I think I have been to that pub.

De Heeren van Liedekercke? Top Belgian sour beers place...
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2015, 07:04:46 am »
  I have been burned quite a few times with old bottles.  But in Belgium, it is Heaven on Earth.

Funny, in Belgium we age the bottles in our cellars. I know at least one pub where you can ask for a bottle from a specific year...

I think I have been to that pub.

De Heeren van Liedekercke? Top Belgian sour beers place...

De Kulminator in Antwerp had vintages of Orval, as they got older the price went up 0.10 Euro/year.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline graymoment

• 1st Kit
« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2015, 11:06:04 am »

I've been to many pubs in Belgium where they have multiple ages of Orval for sale. The price increases that I saw was usually at least 1 Euro as they got older (sometimes more), and they usually were in 6 months to 1 year increments.

Derek

« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2015, 02:06:59 pm »
I've had 2 bottles of Orval to date and they both tasted different but delicious nonetheless.